Glorantha getting too complicated?

From: Dieter Euler <Dieter.Euler_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 21:08:14 +0100

Hy folks,

I got to say that Peter Maranci has a point there. I first got Runequest (German version, btw) about 4 years back. In GoG (also German version), Glorantha was mentioned as background world. It had a totally different flair than any world I had ever heard of. It seemed mysterious and heroic but at the same time not heroic for the normal pc, that means not AD&D like (sorry for mentioning that name here, I hope I won4t get roasted, but it is the best worst example). That4s how I got interested in more information about Glorantha.

By now, I got most available English stuff. But with every book I bought, I seemed to know less and less of Glorantha. The worst thing, was to get on this digest, though. There are discussios which totally blast me since I have never heard of (almost) any of the stuff that4s talked about. By now, I4ve given up hope to get to know Glorantha. IMO Glorantha has no easy way of getting to know it for newcomers.

My hope is on Issaries Inc. IMO it is the task of Issaries Inc. to split itself. Firstly, it has to provide a solid basis of materials for newcomers to Glorantha to be able to get new people interested in Glorantha. In these publications there certainly need to be some hints at the "complications" of Glorantha, but they have to guide newcomers to a basic understanding of "the myth" of Glorantha, not losing him in thousands of myths. To use the goodlearners views is a good way to do that, though IMO it wasn4t done very good in GoG and the Genertela box. It has to be done more clearly. You have to get at least an overview without having to memorize thousand things in one paragraph.

Secondly, there have to be publications satisfying the old Gloranthans. Exploring new areas of Glorantha and including new (local?) myths would be a good way to do that.

I know that the development of the Gloranthan publications have not made it easy to get such a clear line into Glorantha, but I think it needs it to get the attention it has earned itself.

Arachne Solara has meant all of this to be,

                Timo.

(Btw, is this understanding of Arachne Solara correct?)