RQ3 Sorcerers and Glorantha for New Players

From: Eric D. Hansen <ehansen_at_adan.kingston.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 01:33:17 -0500

Mark Anderson:

> try to score a magic item or two, and to keep your free int as high
> as possible. train your enchant and ceremony skills so that you can build
> your own magic items.

Sometimes scoring any enchantments at all can be tough, depending on the game, but this is definitely the way to go. A few weeks training in Enchant and Ceremony are an acorn which will produce a mighty oak. If your POW is high, spend it on enchantments: spell matrices to keep that INT free, and MP matrices to power those big spells. Since POW is an easy come easy go stat, keep it at a mid-range level, high enough to give you a chance to overcome a target's magic points, and low enough so you have a chance of passing the resulting POW check (take the roll! no guts, no glory). And build even more enchantments with this new POW. Soon you'll find that your friends won't leave the house without your puissant spells bolstering them. And the tougher they are, the better they can protect you from those nasty sorts of things GMs like hosing their players with. But don't even think about playing a sorcerer if your INT isn't 18 (the free INT system really does suck.) My final advice is to go get the latest version of Sandy's rules and use those.

Timo:

> It seemed mysterious and heroic but at the same time not heroic for the normal pc

Just remember, heroism is based on actions more than on raw abilities. Beginning, inexperience characters can perform heroically by doing the right thing, even if they can't move mountains or go three rounds with Harrek.

Timo Again:

> I seemed to know less and less of Glorantha. The worst thing, was to get on this digest,
> though. There are discussios which totally blast me since I have never heard of (almost) any
> of the stuff

Glorantha is huge and richly detailed, and people have been exploring it for decades, but I think it still has a lot to offer the lay member of The Cult of G. Don't let the sheer volume of information intimidate you. Start small, and build. Learn G a bit at a time, fitting new information into your game as you dicover it. A good starting point is the adventure Troubled Waters in RoC. You don't need to know much of anything about the world beyond what background is provided in the supplement, there's loads of G flavour, and its really, IMO, very heroic in its scope, despite the fact that the PCs are beginning characters. If there's some detail you need that you're not sure of, ask one of the Gloranthan Grognards who lurk in this digest, or make it up yourself. You won't be "wrong". G is very open to different interpretations and POV on just about any subject you can think of, and there's a good chance yours will work just fine. If something you like better comes along later, simply retrofit.

Arachne Solara spun her web and created Time. She saved the gods from themselves. Who can fathom such mysteries?

Eric Hansen