Iron, AS, RQ3 support, Spirits of Law

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 01:24:45 EST

James Frusetta says:
>Proper trolls should have some sort of spirit cult that helps them
(b)eat
>this nasty Mostali trick.

Daniel McCluskey suggests:
>I think this need would be covered by the Argan Argar cult. AA's "Cure
>Iron Burn" spell would almost certainly do the trick... (I'm not
positive it
>would as written, but it ought to ;-) Also mythically it makes sence
for
>the god of dealing with outsiders to protect from such mishaps...

Actually, given the mythic antipathy between Zorak Zoran and Humakt, I have a Zorak Zorani subcult which teaches the spell Devour Iron. Rare spell, hard to learn (minor HQ required).

I hadn't considered the Only Old One angle, I'll have to think about it.

Dieter Euler asks:

>Arachne Solara has meant all of this to be,
> Timo.
>(Btw, is this understanding of Arachne Solara correct?)

Looks fine to me -- she is the Goddess of Fate.

Michael Raaterova asks:
>Whence come the Spirits of Law (or Wakbothfoes as i tend to call them to
>avoid the Law-Chaos opposition) that Waha and Stormbull have access to?
>How do they manifest?

Spirits of Law seem to be a holdover from the first edition Nomad Gods, when Waha was a great anti-chaos figure, and Storm Bull was a figure in mythology and not much else.

I believe that the Waha shamans in the First Age were much more anti-chaos oriented than they are now, but that they have become eclipsed by the Storm Bulls of the Block, whose Sense Chaos ability gives them an advantage over chaos the shamans cannot match.

I think the Spirits of Law are definitely not elementally-oriented -- since when does Law include one element over another? They are disembodied, IMO. I don't know if they can fight disembodied spirits -- I would suggest you have them do it if you want, or make them unable to if it suits you.

Disease spirits, werewolves, and other marginally chaotic creatures probably cannot be affected by them -- since the disease carried by a spirit does not count as a "chaotic feature".

I doubt they have any effect on a _victim_ of broobirth, since the victim is not chaotic. If they could sense the chaos growing in the body, they could probably attack it. But, I don't think they have that ability -- they have to be directed to attack a target. If the target is not chaotic, they can't do anything, and go back to the Spirit Plane, spell used up. If the shaman wants to guess at which figure before him is chaotic, he better have multiple spell uses, or bring a Storm Khan along for assistance.

>Can they be used to cleanse stuff befouled or cursed by chaos (like
>chaos-tainted god crystals)?

I don't think so -- they are chaos-destroying spirits, not cleansing spirits. If your Glorantha would benefit from their being able to attack and destroy inanimate sources of chaos, I say go for it, though perhaps such a strange target could destroy the spirit, too. (power-gaming fix)

>>Do they automatically sense chaos?

Peter Metcalfe>I suspect that they would have to fight one round of spirit
>combat with a mundane foe to find if it was chaotic or not.
>Normally they are directed to an obvious chaotic foe by the summoner.

I completely agree with Peter here, except that I don't think they can even enter into Spirit Combat with a creature if it is not chaotic. Hmm, I wonder if they can attack an illuminated chaotic entity?

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com