its not the length, its the way you use it

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 17:13:58 +0800

        Russ Massey said
> I think of a 'long spear' as being 7 feet plus - something used for
>thrusting and not for throwing.

        which immediately made me think of Australian Aboriginal spears, many of which are well over 7 feet, and are designed for throwing. Often thrown with a spear thrower, of the type often called a woomera. The Agimori and Australian Aboriginal lifestyles don't seem two different. And Australian Aboriginal warfare was AFAIK relatively similar to what Dave Pearton describes as

>In addition the pre-Shaka conflicts were faught with a long spear,
>basically two impis would face each other and throw long spears
>(essentially javelins) at each other until one side ran away.

        Just a different point of view, a contrast to the swiss pikemen and macedonians running around the plains of prax at the moment....

        Oh, and just as a point of interest, some Australian Aboriginal war spears are absolutely terrifying barbed monstrosities. Probably not much use on an actual battlefield, as chance of withdrawing to take on another opponent is nil, but pretty scary.

        Cheers

                David