Gloranthan friendliness

From: Maria or Michael <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:58:59 +0100

PETER MARANCI, with a bitter tone:

> Nothing against Glorantha, although I really do think it has
>become over-burdened with boring and over-complicated detail. It was a
>great world in the time of RQII, but picayune details and ever more
>esoteric arguments have sharply reduced its usefulness to those whose main
>goal is to have fun while roleplaying -- that is, without memorizing an
>encyclopedia and spending half the session arguing over Gloranthan
>"correctness".

> What captivated me about Glorantha when I first started playing
>wasn't a library of discussion about Elmal/Yalmalio; it was that it was a
>world that was *different*, with a strong, definite, immediately
>understandable flavor of its own. It welcomed imagination. But somewhere
>along the line that quality seems to have been lost. Glorantha is no
>longer a friendly world to newcomers.

Well, Glorantha is still different, vibrantly welcoming imagination and a major source of inspiration. If you feel you have to pay attention to the GC (gloranthically correct) esoterica and over-complication produced in encyclopediac volumes by the people on the digest and let it cramp your style, you have only yourself to blame.

Glorantha is, first and foremost, a campaign setting. Its function is to provide an interesting and inspiring backdrop for roleplaying fun. Thus, the gloranthan sources are sources not of Truth, but of Inspiration. If something doesn't feel right to your campaign, ignore it. I won't let claims of "correctness" hamstring my imagination or shackle my campaign.

If you feel overburdened by demands of GC, then i suggest a change in attitude. Nobody has a monopoly on Glorantha, not even Greg, who has said that "Glorantha is yours, not mine."

So, you have yourself to blame for your bitterness. Well, not entirely, since the orthodox attitude on the digest can be pretty irritating at times. But hey, remember the secret of the God Learners:

"It's only a game."

Michael Raaterova

<.sig omitted on legal advice>