Mounted warriors in Glorantha

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:55:55 -0000

Back to the SC tactics and RW inspiration:

> I believe the halberd was used to help dismount knights as well
> as being used as a close-combat weapon.

That was precisely the reason why halbards were developed: they are a weapon designed to be used against mounted enemies by infantry.

> do the Praxians use stirrups and saddles

This is another of my classic Glorantha warfare blind spots: mounted warfare evolved in the European middle ages with the progressive introduction of stirrups, horseshoes, spurs, high-backed saddles with pommel. This was accompanied by crossbreeding warhorses to improve their size and toughness without sacrificing velocity and agility; and by developments in both knight's weappons and armor (and Marion, I'm not going to mention the raisded codpieces they used). All those developments influenced eachother, influenced the tactics used by knights and contributed to the emergence of the european extra-heavy knight, the best mounted warrior of all times.

My question is: what 'technology' is used by the different mounted warriors in Glorantha? Are any of the developments mentioned above substituted by other alternatives, namely based on magic (for instance, in some places the mounted warriors could substitute stirrups and spurs by 'command' like spells; and special saddles could be substituted by some 'glue to mount' spell cast on the moment of the charge).

Best,

Sergio