RE: yowza

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:16:38 -0600

Peter Metcalfe
>The God Learners seek to explain all origins in terms of their own
mythology because they know that is true

        The God Learners approached their mythology scientifically. They attempted to look at mythology _including_their_own_ objectively. They were perfectly willing to discard old beliefs in favor of new ones. That said, once the Monomyth was in force they certainly were willing to discard myths that didn't fit into it. Example: if the Orlanthi, Pelorians, Kralori, and trolls all believe in a male sun god, then the East Isles belief in a _female_ sun god must obviously be an error. If you're a God Learner, that is.

>The last major interaction between the Ralian and the Dragon Pass
Orlanth was in Alakorings day. Despite this the two are
>still recognizably Orlanthi. Thus I don't think that any differences
between Sarro's Orlanth and the Genertelan Orlanth would
>be any greater than the differences between the various forms of
Orlanth in Genertela.

        There is a big difference between Sarro's Orlanth & the Genertelan one. In Ralios & Wenelia, there are huge populations of Orlanthi. Any major change would have to percolate through millions of barbarians and dozens of tribes to take effect. Their reactionary culture is unlikely to permit this to happen readily. Also, both Ralios & Wenelia have in the past been bordered by cultures which are not particularly intrusive. The Safelstre nation-states are hardly in a position to export their culture to the Ralians. Likewise with Wenelia - -- the Praxians can't export their ways, and (in my opinion) the various cultures of the Holy Country are fairly modern -- good examples of how the underlying Orlanthi way can be radically changed under the right influence. Look at what's happening to the Orlanthi in Dragon Pass now that they've had extensive contact with a potent outside community i.e., the Lunar Empire. In Tarsh, many of the old Orlanthi ways are practically wiped out. The Earthshaker folk bear little resemblance to the original lifestyle and religion (no matter what their propagandists say), and the Lunar Way is making inroads even in Sartar.

        In Sarro, you have a comparatively small Orlanthi community, surrounded by vigorous and aggressive non-Orlanthi cultures. The Sarro Orlanthi would have had to make some extreme responses to this.

Stephen Martin
>Despite the clip-art I put in Drastic: Prax, my understanding of the
Praxian rhino is that it is single-horned.

        But it is supposed to be like Earth's White Rhino, making it two-horned.

>I believe that the Praxians believe they were woolly rhinos in the
Golden Age

        There are still woolly rhinos in Pent, Balazar, and the KoI. For what it's worth, the "classic" woolly rhino was two-horned.

>Other than that "Jraktal" is being used far too many ways and places
for it. If you say "A deity similar to Jraktal" I will >probably be more receptive. Also, I find it difficult to believe that Dawn Age Fonrit was dominated by worship of chaos >deities.

        Where does anyone claim Jraktal was worshiped in quantity besides Fonrit? The deity doubtless originated there, and spread elsewhere. In any case Jraktal is NOT a chaos deity, any more than Malia, Ompalam, or Ikadz are chaotic.

Michael Raaterova
>Whence come the Spirits of Law (or Wakbothfoes as i tend to call them
to avoid the Law-Chaos opposition)

        In the second place, the folk of Prax are very hip to the whole Law/Chaos thing. In the first place, the Spirits of Law are left-over fragments of the Gods Age that Waha inherited when he took over the Wastes. Genert & the Golden Age folk were dead, so the Spirits of Law attached themselves to Waha.

>If they are spirits specific to the Stormbull, are they also tied to
the element of Air (not unlike Whirlvishes)?

        They are not specific to the Storm Bull, and are not tied to Air.

>Can they manifest in, or travel through, earth or water?

        Yes.

>Also, can they attack disease spirits (if disease spirits in fact are
chaotic)?

        Disease spirits are chaotic enough for Spirits of Law to attack them.

>Can they attack chaotic spirits?

        Yes.

>Can they attack chaotic spirits possessing someone?

        Yes.

>Can they "cure" a broo impregnation?

        No.

>Can they be used to cleanse stuff befouled or cursed by chaos (like
chaos-tainted god crystals)?

        No.

>Do they automatically sense chaos?

        Only by touch.