Armies, Spirits of Law

From: nillo <nillo_at_tao.agoron.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 20:35:58 -0500

> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:05:21 -0500
> From: "Lee R. Insley" <maelstrom_at_usa.net>
> Subject: Re: Off topic discussions
>
> Chris:
> >Being totally ignorant of military history, I'd like to pipe in on the
> >Gloranthan end.

> For a description of how I view the DP Orlanthi armies, check out my
> web-link at <http://members.tripod.com/~insley/sartar_army.html>. I
would
> be more than happy to post it to the digest if you don't have web access.
> Personally, I would think the write-up I have here would apply to most
> barbarian-like armies.

Lee, I just read your web page. It truly warms the cockles of my Orlanthi-loving heart!
Do you have any info on large scale troop magics, as opposed to the personal-scale spells we know from RuneQuest?

> PETER METCALFE answering me:
>
> >>Whence come the Spirits of Law (or Wakbothfoes as i tend to call them
> >>avoid the Law-Chaos opposition) that Waha and Stormbull have access to?
How
> >>do they manifest?
> >
> >I think they are adamantine spirits of the block. Although this
> >raises the question of why Waha can get them. To which I say...
> >urm...er...ask ibbe farqifno..
>
> I reread the sources and found that my memory has played tricks on me.
> According to RoC and Tales#15, Waha is the source of Spirits of Law, not
> Stormbull.
>
> Since Peter's suggestion that the spirits of law are in fact spirits of
the
> Block has merit, i suggest that the write-ups are wrong, and that the
> spirits should belong to Stormbull and not Waha (though he still gets
them
> as Stormbull's associate). Divination to ibbe farqifno has confirmed the
> validity of such a proposal.

I feel that while Storm Bull is the great defeater of Chaos, Waha in his great acts of Prax (digging the good river to cleanse Chaos from Prax, forging the survival covenant, saving the Animal Mothers from Darkness (Uz?), one of his acts would no doubt have been to use the Block's secrets to war against Chaos with pure, adamantine Law. IMO, Spirits of Law should be available to Storm Bull Khans, Tribal Waha Shamans and Khans, and Priestesses of Eiritha. IMO, Spirits of Law could be ghosts of the inhabitants of the Spike, who were slain by Wakboth upon the Spike's destruction, but not destroyed.

 > So, one could assume that shamans of Waha, if no followers of Stormbull are
> available, use spirits of law as a test of purity for suspected chaos
> worshippers?

Definitely! Consider this stolen :) It would actually seem to me to be more foolproof than Sense Chaos, as rolls can always fail or be fumbled.

> Another question: would Impede Chaos be effective on a spirit of law?

Why would the power of the Bull impede that which the Bull ultimately defends and serves?
Perhaps your thinking of the Krarhst spell, Impede Law.

Other places for Spirits of Law - I'd imagine pilgrims from cultures across Glorantha may make the arduous journey to Prax to view the remains the Spike. The most likely suspects may perhaps be... Malkioni? As the remains of the Cosmic Mountain and the fossilied essence of the Invisible God's Law, I'd imagine the Malkioni may well find Truestone precious. Does anyone know what role the Spike may play in Malkioni myth, if any? I'd also imagine that various Malkioni and the Brithini may be able to call up equivalent spirits, sent from Solace by the Invisible God. Troll ancestor spirits may also have similar powers.

> Michael Raaterova

Chris Bell