Re: RQ and Glorantha

From: Tal Meta <talmeta_at_cybercomm.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 16:42:01 -0500

Peter Maracini said:

> As has recently been pointed out, originally Glorantha was
> Greg Stafford's fantasy world, not related to RPGs at all. But in
> another sense, your point is valid: if Glorantha hadn't been used
> as the setting of a RPG, I very much doubt that many people would
> have heard of it.

<snip>
> What I'm trying to say is that Glorantha is *still* likely
> to live or die by its success as a game setting.

I think it was just yesterday that someone on <ahem> another mailing list suggested something to the effect that one of the reasons that TSR's most popular game-world has the volume of material available for it is that the writers of the material don't have to worry about being "Gregged". So long as the material they submit meets the published submissions criteria, and doesn't kill off any major NPCs, it's likely to see print.

For Glorantha to survive as a setting or a rules system, I believe Mr. Stafford is going to have to give up at least SOME of his editorial control. How many supplements for RQ3 got crushed because he later changed his mind on certain points after giving authors the go-ahead based on their original synopsis?

Even if it means (oh, the horror) extending the lozenge a bit to perhaps insert some new lands where Greg's history is NOT already cast in stone, where new writers could have a bit more freedom?

Hmmm. Now there would be an intersting end to the Hero Wars... the mists at the edges of the world lift to reveal places that have been out of touch for so long that nobody <even the dragons> remembers having heard of them....