Military Magic, Evukindu, Fonrit

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 22:06:18 EST

Sergio
>Kevin gives some examples of this type of magic in Glorantha but we
still
>don't have the principles on which it operates.

Although this is a simplistic approach, some of the principles are already there. In other words, 5 people able to combine Disrupt into a single spell doing 5d3 damage, have a more powerful effect than 5 separate Disrupt spells. What is most needed to make a beginning, is some sort of mechanics, or at least mental handle, on how multiple magicians combine their magics into a single spell.

I made some beginning efforts towards this many years ago, by creating a new type of Ritual, called Join. Never got very far though -- couldn't work out the RQ mechanics for this type of magic. Maybe when the new game comes out, this will be easier to handle.

Simon Bray
>I have had several complaints about the use of the term Enkidu for thet
>Fonritan/Pamaltelan Humakt like cult.
>I have thus opted for the radically different name of Evukindu

Very cool-sounding name. Good compromise on your part.

Michael Raaterova
>Maybe i was a bit hasty when i attached the SoLs to Stormbull. If the
SoLs
>are in fact the ghosts of Genert and the Golden Folk (and thus the
Copper
>Sands, metaphorically speaking) it makes sense that they attached
>themselves to Waha, as Waha should have some anti-chaos powers of his
>own since he is the son of the premier anti-chaos god.

I'm glad you agree. Though I must say that I am not entirely convinced your last statement is true, at least not in the Darkness and First Age.

Chris Bell
>The Guided Teleoprt spell. So long as a priest
>can visit a place, create the small holy spot needed for the GT to work,
>and then return home, that Storm Voice can visit it again any time he
wants. >Even Wind Lords and Initiates can use the spell, on a one-use basis!

Expect a lot of "flames" on this one. So, Chris, how do you get to the temple at Kero Fin from Fonrit during the Closing? :)

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com