Bullshit bashing

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 01:10:11 +1300 (NZDT)

Tal Meta:

>I think it was just yesterday that someone on <ahem> another mailing
>list suggested something to the effect that one of the reasons that
>TSR's most popular game-world has the volume of material available for
>it is that the writers of the material don't have to worry about being
>"Gregged". So long as the material they submit meets the published
>submissions criteria, and doesn't kill off any major NPCs, it's likely
>to see print.

IMHO the suggestion is utterly wrong. You don't have to worry about being gregged so long as it's _good_. Greg is more likely to adopt somebody else's idea in such a case. The real reason for the lack of material was due to a number of other factors. Foremost was during the first _eight_ years of RQIII, AH didn't even take the trouble to encourage glorantha fans to submit material for publication and expected chaosium to do all the work.

>For Glorantha to survive as a setting or a rules system, I believe Mr.
>Stafford is going to have to give up at least SOME of his editorial
>control. How many supplements for RQ3 got crushed because he later
>changed his mind on certain points after giving authors the go-ahead
>based on their original synopsis?

None, I believe. Certainly hasn't happened to any fan material that I've seen. If you going to speculate, perhaps you could take the trouble of finding out the FACTS behind the dearth of RQIII gloranthan material instead of perpetuating unadulterated horseshit.

>Even if it means (oh, the horror) extending the lozenge a bit to perhaps
>insert some new lands where Greg's history is NOT already cast in stone,
>where new writers could have a bit more freedom?

Oh please! There are quite a lot of lands in which the history is not cast in stone. Look in the Genertela supplement and try and compose a time line out of the lands mentioned therein. You end up with _huge_ gaps in certain regions, namely Slontos, Fronela, Ralios, Pent and Teshnos. To compound it, there are even places and names are literally just that. Even Greg doesn't know the story behind them.

Klyfix:

> Perhaps part of our problem is that the current view of Glorantha
>seems to invalidate almost everything published up to RQ III; the Monomyth
>record is wrong, the gods have no objective reality, all the stuff of about
>the God's Age and Time is only the Orlanthi view, all that was written
about >Yelmalio was wrong, and the Dara Happen stuff (The Fortunate Succession and
>so on) are more valid anything that's been published before. Sometimes
>that's been expressed with a certain amount of arrogance.

I don't recall saying that the gods have no objective reality and that the Dara Happan stuff is more valid than anything published before. What has been said over and OVER again is that 'almost everything published up to RQIII' represents the viewpoint of the Orlanthi about the Cosmos as they see it whereas other (non-Orlanthi) people would have _different_ viewpoints. Now I thought this was shouted from the mountaintops during the goddamned sobjectivity debate and I get quite sick and tired when I see the same misrepresentations as if the debate had never existed.

>There's no real core of "truth" anymore; everything's
>subjective as a thousand different views of every little detail of Gloranthan
>life get put forth in the digest and the only published overview of the world
>has been declared invalid. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since when did this happen? Put up or shut up.

http://www.sirius.com/~chaosium/glorantha-main.html is a good place to start looking. Don't blame me if you haven't look there before.