Yet More Pamaltelan Orlanthi stuff...

From: nillo <nillo_at_tao.agoron.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 11:52:35 -0500

> Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 22:23:58 -0800
> From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
> Subject: Re: Orlanthi in Sarro and Prax
>
> Chris Bell proposes
>
> > However, there is a reason for Sarro's Orlanth community to retain
> > ideological
> > similarity with their Genertelan cousins... The Guided Teleoprt spell.
> > ... That Sarro Temple of Orlanth may be linked
> > up with various
> > Orlanth holy sites around the world, such as Kero Fin.
>
> Hmm, an interesting idea. It's true that the spell description says
there's
> no range limitation, but teleporting from Genertela to Pamaltela seems
> wrong to me.

How does that seem wrong, Dave? Orlanth rose in the blink of an eye from Magasta's Pool to join the Lightbringers on Mastakos. The myth seems to support it.

> Even if you do believe it's possible, I don't think any Guided Teleport
> sites would have survived the devastation at the end of the Second Age.
>
> Remember, one of the themes of the Third Age is the breakdown in
> communications (e.g. the Closing and the Ban).
The closing only inhibits surafce shipping. As power as he is, I doubt Zzabur could defy the owner of the very mobility rune himself (Mastakos), or the chieftain of the entire array of the Storm Gods (Orlanth.) Do note that the two deities here are the respective double owners of the Mobility and Air runes, respectively. That Zzabur's curse can mess with mortal shipping I can accept, but inhibit workings of the major Rune Gods? That's crazy-talk. A magic that would affect the seas I doubt would get in the way of Orlanth's and Kolat's children - ie - Sylphs.

Also, I doubt that a few Priests from Pamaltela making pilgrimage to Dragon Pass and the like is going make any major culture changes in Vralos and the like. Another assumption that can be made is that the Orlanth heirarchy in Pamaltela was well established by the time of the closing, and was ready. All it takes is one Priest with POW to burn to set up the spell on the other side, and the spell can only transport individuals (although their may be Mastakos Heroquest magic or military-level spells that can transport more than one person GT distances.. But that would be out of Orlanth's purview, IMO.) I can imagine that during the Closing, a small trickle of Priests moved back and forth between continents with news and such, enough to keep Ideology and belief intact, but no more. Also, I would imagine that even with the contact, Sarro's Orlanth would have some differences with the Big O as worshipped in Genertela... Mostly in how he interacted with Pamalt's family, Frex. I can imagine the Lhankor Mhy grilling some poor Storm Voice who's just arrived back from Pamaltela about the details of that land.