Encyclopedia Glorantha

From: Klyfix <Klyfix_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 18:55:07 EST

Peter Metcalf observed...

> >There's no real core of "truth" anymore; everything's
> >subjective as a thousand different views of every little detail of
> Gloranthan
> >life get put forth in the digest and the only published overview of the
> world
> >has been declared invalid.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> ^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Since when did this happen? Put up or shut up.

      I'm saying that the "Monomyth" is the only published (and I mean commercially, not in fanzines) overview, and it has pretty darn much been declared to be invalid repeatedly. The rpg stuff up to RQ II was based on its basic (if not total) validity, while now if one brings up something from the Monomyth or an RQ II supplement it is likely to be refuted by something in the _Glorious Reascent of Yelm_ or _The Fortunate Accession_ or something in _Tales_ or whatever since after all the Dara Happens have umpty zillion years of written history while the Orlanthis figure on 1600 years of Time and the God Learners work on an Orlanthi time line for some reason.

> >While there's certainly something to everybody
> >having their own way of looking at the world, it would be nice to have
some
> >common truth that we can depart from if we choose. I'd like an "
> Encyclopedia
> >Glorantha" myself.
>
> http://www.sirius.com/~chaosium/glorantha-main.html is a good place
> to start looking. Don't blame me if you haven't look there before.

     Yeah, yeah I know about that and it's cool and all that but a goodly portion of it is invalidated God Learnerish Orlanthi Perspective Monomythical stuff and is thus not necessarily authoritative now, is it? I was _not_ saying that I'm an utter Gloranthan newbie seeking solace for my ignorance; I was saying I'd like a _published_ (you know, on that paper stuff?) Glorantha Encyclopedia of Universal Truths (like there's a Glowing Thing in the Sky), Generally Accepted Truths (Chaos can hurt you), broadly Accepted Truths (common but not universal stuff), Debatable Truths (Chaos is Evil), and Stuff True Only to Certain People. Essentially, a hard copy resource of authoritative information that would be valid for any commercially published stuff that we can of course ignore at will for our own campaigns. And I'm _not_ saying that I want the _Encyclopedia Glorantha_ to be based on The Great and Holy Jruesteli Monomyth, just that I'd like the stuff in a convienient form. No real problem for me to toss all that old stuff as long as the new stuff is in a form that is accessible to Newbies and Gloranthan Talmudic Scholars alike.

     > - - 'with a certain amount of arrogance' Metcalfe

       Comment wasn't really directed (at least consciously) at you. :)

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham... Who just wanted to note the legitimacy of discontent...