Revisionism for fun and profit

From: Klyfix <Klyfix_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 00:22:19 EST

> If I understand it correctly, V.S. Greene wants to be told what
> the Great Mystery itself is. He thinks that previously we were
> presented with Ultimate Truths about Glorantha, but that these
> have since been "rejected" in favour of other Ultimate Truths.
> In view of the deliberate uncertainties written into our sources
> since the very beginning, this is obviously a false dichotomy.
> (The first edition RuneQuest rules told us, not that nobody knew
> which Rune came first, but that everyone said their own Rune had
> done so. If that's not a "subjective" explanation, what is?)

     No, you don't quite understand me. I ain't a talkin' 'bout no Great Mystery, I'm saying there should be some amount of Common Truth and that should be reflected in whatever future product comes out. I'm saying that the Monomyth was a good way of getting a handle on the universe, fully understanding that it was a synthesis of whatever mythoses (mythosi ?) the God Learners encountered as opposed to Absolute Truth. I'm saying that some stuff _should_ be universal, if viewed and interpreted differently by different cultures. I'm saying this information should be accessible to both Newbie and Scholar, both Web surfers and the non-connected. I'd like there to be an Encyclopedia Glorantha (or something like it) giving an overview of Gloranthan historical, semi-historical, and mythic events; it doesn't have to be The New and Improved Monomyth. Oh, and I'm saying that a goodly portion of the Digest discussion is so esoteric that Newbies are likely to lose their minds and run off screaming to embrace another game world rather than try to comprehend it all. No big thing really; perhaps there should be a Gamer's Digest and an Esoterica Digest (inspiration from off-line discussion with Peter Maranci) so that everybody can be happy campers.

     I should perhaps note that I really don't have that much disagreement with most of your post, and most of what I've been saying is based on feelings and impressions.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham.... "I want to spend my Christmas with a Dalek..."