Re: Tadaaki's Questions

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 06:43:11 -0500

Tadaaki has some good Questions.

> Why Androgynous isn't mentioned in KoS though she/he is one of Super
> Heroes? (Shadow's Good Shadow may be she/he ....)

Androgeus certainly doesn't appear to feature in "Argrath's Saga", although he is, as we all know, one of the Superheroines from WB&RM/ Dragon Pass. There ain't an easy explanation for this. From the game, we *know* that Androgeus (and/or Aristos the Philosopher, his archnemesis)  will play a part in the Hero Wars, but her non-appearance in "King of Sartar" is a knobbly problem. Perhaps he was left out because her deeds were unmentionable, or he never crossed Argrath's path, or she upstaged Argrath at some battle and had to be edited out of the "official history".

FWIW, you can rest assured that Androgeus *is* playing a part in the Hero Wars. As always, when "King of Sartar" clashes with our previous knowledge of Glorantha, prior knowledge wins hands-down. (There are, for the cautious, *very* few cases where this occurs).

> Does anyone know ten (or more?) Phalanx Cults in Red Army?

Greg produced a list of the Ten Traditional Dara Happan Phalanxes a few years ago, but this was a "whittling-down" list, starting at ten and then knocking them out at various points in history. As my very own Malachite Phalanx *isn't* on that list, I'd assume the Lunars have "re-formed" some new (and wholly Lunar) Phalanx-cults on the pre-existing Dara Happan model. Seems reasonable, no?

The Phalanxes seem to all be named for igneous rocks (not surprising, given the Lodrili influences in the region of their origin), so if you invent another one, bear this in mind. I'm sure you could find an Obsidian Phalanx (troll-fighters? troll fighters?? liberated Lunar trollkin???) if you looked hard enough...

I can't recall any connection with the Ten Princes; this may be a myth. (But as I said the other day, my Fortunate Succession has gone walkabout).

> Regarding Lunar Regiment Units in WBRM. Where are they stationed,
> especially in Provinces?

We know that the Marble Phalanx, Antelope Lancers and Silver Shields (a Peltast unit not appearing in Dragon Pass) are the garrison of Pavis and the Cradle Valley. The Queen's Regiment is a Carmanian unit currently operating in the southern wars. If you get a copy of "Tarsh War", you'll find detachments from Granite Phalanx, Red Dragoons, Lost Sky (peltasts), and Char-Un (cossack cavalry) operating in the Bush Range in "normal" RQ game times. And my Malachite Phalanx is based at Kitor.

But the Lunar Army is big (bigger than the countermix for WB&RM), and professional. They don't seem to settle units in fort-towns, the way the Romans did with their frontier legionary camps. And I'm not aware of any authoritative "Order of Battle at the eve of the Hero Wars" (i.e. an "official" counter-by-counter deployment guide for the first WB&RM scenario).

Of course, before the Dragonrise, the Lunar Army could have included other units that didn't survive to fight in the Hero Wars...

> Recently I learn Grim Soldiers are the elite of DX cult and Blood-
> spillers are under command of Jar-Eel Razoress and maybe the elite
> of YT cult. Are there any information about other units, like
> Yalamese, Jintori, Feathered-axe, Starkin, Unriver, Bell Temple etc.?

Other than what you can glean from the essay at the back of "Tarsh War", I'll chuck in a few we have used over the years...

Peter Metcalfe suggested the "Lost Sky" unit(s) are connected to the Sun Dome/Elmal religion in some way -- worshipping the pure golden Sky of Godtime that was invaded by water deities and turned blue in the Lesser Darkness. This is neat. (I say unit[s] because, if we've royally screwed up your campaign by including Lost Sky Peltasts in "Tarsh War" when the counter illo shows a man on a horse, there's no reason why there shouldn't be two or more different "Lost Sky" units, including the Lost Sky Horse. Or maybe the peltast unit is reformed as mounted skirmishers between "Tarsh War" and the Hero Wars proper?)

The Steel Swords Legion is certainly an all-Yanafali unit -- rare in the Lunar Army -- in which every soldier is an initiate in the Yanafal Tarnils cult. They fight using enchanted steel scimitars, and every centurion and officer is a Scimitar of the cult. It's treated as a sub-cult by the Cult of Yanafal Tarnils.

I have the Bell Temple as a wealthy temple in the Heartlands, perhaps associated with the Bell Goddess(es) from the Entekosiad, which funds a military unit for the Empire in lieu of (part of) its taxation. A priestess from the Bell Temple turns up in one of my (so far embryonic) Moonbroth scenarios.

The Hell Sisters are Jakaleeli Witches riding nightmare steeds, it seems.

(FWIW, the Sartarite Headhunters are *not* Thanatari: they still follow the outdated but traditional Orlanthi custom of head-taking.)

Two non-WB&RM units should be described in the next "Tales" -- the Moonrunners and the Dead Ones. Look for it early next year!

::::
Nick
::::