Peters post

From: MLaurie_at_compuserve.com
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 16:49:29 -0500

Peter comments:
>I don't recall saying that the gods have no objective reality and that =

>the Dara Happan stuff is more valid than anything published before. =

>What has been said over and OVER again is that 'almost everything =

>published up to RQIII' represents the viewpoint of the Orlanthi about =

>the Cosmos as they see it whereas other (non-Orlanthi) people would =

>have _different_ viewpoints. Now I thought this was shouted from the =

>mountaintops during the goddamned sobjectivity debate and I get quite =

>sick and tiredwhen I see the same misrepresentations as if the debate =

>had never existed.

I agree with Peter (and the rest of his post for that matter).

The whole problem of subjectivity/objectivity came with a few people refusing to recognise that Glorantha is growing constantly and =

because of that the cultures that are newly explored have their own views on myth. The older material had the Orlanthi perspective and this is clearly not enough to describe the whole world with yet some people persist in saying "that culture is WRONG" because it doesn't fit what page xxx of book xxx in 1983 said!

AAARGH! Tal Meta:
>For Glorantha to survive as a setting or a rules system, I believe Mr.
>Stafford is going to have to give up at least SOME of his editorial
>control. How many supplements for RQ3 got crushed because he later
>changed his mind on certain points after giving authors the go-ahead
>based on their original synopsis?

I found him the EXACT opposite with Enclosure. He was approachable, =

easy going and helpfully critical. Until you actually talk to the guy an= d
try =

to get info from him don't dismiss him so glibly. You are forgetting tha= t =

this guy has spent decades of his life on this and given that he has written =

a shit load of it one would tend to assume HE KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING =

ABOUT!!!! Therefore it makes sense that he has a say in product and it =

makes sense that he criticises work or finds a better way.

I used to feel the same way about the lack of product myself but AH is =

responsible for a lot of that and in addition Chaosium is not a big outfi= t
and the ARE trying. The whole Issaries Inc idea is designed to let the =

fans do as much contributing as possible. =

Things are happening but this is not TSR not D&D and there isn't the =

market nor the resources to be producing the billions of books that TSR churns out for their brain dead zombie minded fans. =

I read one of those 'orrible Forgotten Realms books to check out the =

military strengths. Some "evil" keep (Zhentil?) in the desert with a =

population of 80,000 had 120,000 troops.....DON"T THESE PEOPLE =

READ?!? Have _any_ of them every read anything on logisitcs? =

Frankly I'd rather a hundred years pass without a Glorantha product that see products of such poor quality on the shelves.

Martin Laurie