various subjects

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 15:40:22 EST

Klyfix says, somewhat strangely:
>True....but even at that level it seems that there's little real Common
>Truth for even one culture. Look at how the Sartarites are described, as
>Scots or Vikings or Greeks or whatever. This probably should be pinned
>down in the future.

Ur, so you want the Orlanthi to be specifically defined as analogs of a single RW culture? Why? Orlanthi are compared to Scots, Vikings, Greek, and probably other things, for a very simple reason: they are not a RW culture, they are a unique Gloranthan culture. We can see some similarities to the Scots, the Irish, the Vikings, _maybe_ even the Greeks, in them. But that doesn't mean that they _are_ Scots, Irish, Vikings, or Greeks. They are Orlanthi.

>But I do have an old (1994) Grolier CD ROM encyclopedia that can give
>me some idea about a whole slew of cultures past and present.

Actually, what you have is an old Grolier CD ROM encyclopedia that can give you some idea about _Western_ opinions and beliefs, about a whole slew of cultures past and present. Never trust an American or Brit who tries to tell you The Truth about an African Tribe, that's what I always say.

Peter Metcalfe mentions the Ten Phalanxes
>The Rough Guide to Glamour mentions an Adamantine Phalanx but I
>think that's a mistake.

I seem to recall Greg rejecting an Adamanine Phalanx while working on the Lunar Army Book -- although adamantine is a legitimate RW stone, IIRC, and would certainly fit the bill, it was too close to the mystical/mythical metal called 'adamant', for comfort.

Nick talks about the continued existence of the Monomyth
>I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but can you think of anything
>that has absolutely and concretely been "refuted" by one of Greg's
>recent works-in-progress? Instead, we have more clutter, confusion
>and variety, but the basic outline works the same way it always did.

To elaborate on this a little: not only does GRoY not invalidate the Monomyth, it actually supports it! You can look at GRoY, and you can look at the Monomyth, and you can see the many similarities:

The Spike (a mountain) is at the center of the world, but is later destroyed.
Yelm's Throne (a huge ziggurat) is at the center of the world, but later explodes into flame when Yelm dies.

Murharzarm, the Best Man, is slain by Rebellus Terminus (Death Rebel?) Grandfather Mortal, the First Man, is slain by Humakt (Death)

The Age of Antirius begins upon the Death of Yelm The Lesser Darkness begins upon the Death of Yelm

There are numerous other examples.

Thomas Gottschall on Telmori:
>In Dorastor on page 122 it is clearly said that only the unknowing
>Gloranthans see a connection between the transformation of the cursed
>Telmori and the phases of the Red Moon. Can anybody explain to me why
>the majority of the Digest contributors ignores this ?

Well, actually, it does NOT say this in Dorastor: it says:

"Because Wildday ... is the Full Moon day in the Lunar Empire, werewolves and the Telmori have become associated with the Lunar cycle in the mind of the common man, especially among enemies of the Moon. This is a misconception, although perhaps not a coincidence."

Although I agree with you that there is not and never has been a direct link between the Telmori and the Red, Blue, or Purple Moons, that last line ("although perhaps not a coincidence) is, you must admit, somewhat obscure and tantalizing. It hints at a connection perhaps being appropriate.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com