Digesting Glorantha (part 1)

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 10:48:59 -0000

Jeff Richard:
> My advice to everyone frustrated with the state of Gloranthan affairs
> is to take a deep breath, exhale, and then go back to gaming
> and exploring Glorantha.

I've been following the recent discussion about Glorantha and would like to make a couple of comments about it:

I first got access to GD this summer. After a couple of weeks I was feeling just like Peter Maranci et all.. I even wrote a posting on how GD looked like a religion with Greg as its prophet (a posting most people just ignored - and rightly so).

With time I realised the interest and importance of GD to Glorantha: it is an experimental laboratory. Unfortunately Chaosium is not publishing materials for G but if it ever does (be it under Issaries Inc.) GD can prouve to be an excellent place to test new ideas and brainstorming new aspects of this world before developing them into publishable materials. Let me give you an example: Last summer I started a lenghty discussion about ducks and I sent to GD many of my ideas about them. A lot of people presented their personnal views about ducks, in many cases very different from mine's. I acknowledged there were several other people developing material on ducks. I collected many of those ideas and postings (mine and other people's) in a single document I called Duck Mini Pack. I had to stop working on this document but I will go back to it when I find time. I will try to incorporate most of the materials from other people, and many of my ideas about ducks changed and became richer. If I ever finish this product, I'm certain that it will be much better and rich then if I had done it all by myself.
I also started the recent discussion on SC military practices. Most of the discussion was driven by other people. I had the opportunity to learn a lot about RW warfare. IMO most of it doesn't apply to SC or any other army in G. But now I know why.
I participated extensively on the recent discussion about broos. My ideas about them changed and, I hope, my contributions influenced what other people think about broos.
I didn't participate on some recent discussions (like the dogs /alinx one) because other people were presenting the arguments I would introduce.

This doesn't work always the same way. I tried to start discussions about mounted warfare which found some responses; and on the Oasis people which went unnoticed.

So, the question is that there is always someone thinking that some issues are discussed more then they deserve while other issues don't get the attention they need. The problem is that nobody agrees on which are over and which are underdiscussed. That's the price of freedom, and GD is a free space.

Best,

Sergio