Re: Lost Sky, Dragoons, New Gods

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 07:09:41 -0500

My ISP, modem or mail software seem to be playing up, hence the recent duplicate posts. Sorry, and I'll try to sort something out.

Peter Metcalfe caught my reference:
>> If we've royally screwed up your campaign by including Lost Sky
>> Peltasts in "Tarsh War" when the counter illo shows a man on a
>> horse...

> I thought the rationale for this (unofficial) change is that the =

> Dragon Pass Order of Battle had the Lunar Empire dangerously
> unbalanced with only phalanxes and cavalry. Making the 3-3-4 =

> cavalry units peltasts went some way towards remedying it.

Absolutely, that was our reason. We wanted a "familiar" name for the peltast unit, and wanted to cut down the cavalry-heavy battalia from "Dragon Pass". But like I say, *if* we screwed up your Glorantha game by making this change, *please* ignore us or come up with a workaround (like the one I suggested: multiple types of "Lost Sky" units). From the character summaries, it looks like we thought of changing the unit to the Silver Shields at some point -- I don't remember that, but see Xaronias' unit assignation on p.33...

If anyone doesn't know already: the Red Dragoons presented in "Tarsh War" are also apparently unofficial: *real* Lunar Dragoons ride on small donkeys and always dismount before combat. If you desperately need to maintain compatibility with "Glorantha As She Is Spoke", you should consider the unit described to be the Standfast Heavy Cavalry (or some other such). This was a late change we received from Greg when the manuscript was already at the printers: we'd had the misfortune  to be working simultaneously on different aspects of Lunar Cavalry: Greg's work on the Horses of Genertela, seen at G-Con IV, came out simultaneously with "Tarsh War", and included a description of Lunar Dragoon tactics which lightly 'gregged' our previous publication  (in "Questlines"). Still, you knew from the Foreword that our book ain't "quite" right in all its details... :-)

I'd like to nominate Lee Insley for a "Courtesy beyond the Call of Duty" Gloranthan Digest Award. Any seconds? (NB: while I did use my award-winning Sarcasm against Lee, I hope I wasn't flaming him *too* severely -- lightly browned, not burnt to a crisp!)

Mike Pastorello asked:

> An idea hit me that I would like some help in planning. Imagine if a
> non-magical god sprang up in this world a la Christianity, where
> miracles are attributed to him but the believers forsake their magic
> in order to put their trust and faith in this new god.

Sounds good to me. Some Gloranthan examples exist already: the Renunciators  of the East Isles (if I have the name right -- Sandy? Nils? Greg F?), and the Perfecti (and possibly Flagellants) of the West. In every case, the believers put aside the "traditional" magics of their homelands, and may or may not suffer persecution as a result. In both cases, there may be "godlike" individuals who have succeeded so well in the purificatory aims of the cult that they transcend mortal limits (I'm thinking here of the Perfect Ones and the Hideous Saints, I confess)= =2E
The Pamaltelan Cult of Silence may have been similar in its prime, for what that's worth. So might the White Moonies. Key to it would be a rejection of "traditional" religion, embracing something which may appear (to outsiders) to offer no power whatsoever, but which those "in the know" realise is a truer and more beautiful source of magic than anything they had experienced before.

Needn't be a new god, BTW: could be a new way of worshipping an old one.

These references *aren't*, BTW, to say "That's an old idea", or "You should have read about that somewhere." They're my way of confirming to you that you've come up with an interesting concept for a game, and one which already has parallel examples in Glorantha. Which means, it could well work.

Did you have a cultural setting in mind for this game? (Western/mediaeval= ,
Eastern/oriental, Lunar/ancient, Sartarite/barbarian, Praxian/desert?). Then we could start fining down which examples are the most apposite...

::::
Nick
::::