Re: Black Fang and Pavis

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 05:02:02 -0500

_____ ______
Danny "newbie" Bourne responds:

>> Conspiracy theorists could use Black Fang as an "unofficial" arm of
>> the Pavis Cult, but this is unlikely; =

> Why is it unlikely?

Because the Brotherhood of Black Fang and the Masons of Pavis have been in the public domain for nigh on twenty years, and you're the first person I know of to publicly make this suggestion. OK, you're a newbie and don't know any better :-). But if discussion on the Glorantha Daily now takes a turn towards *assuming* Black Fang is an arm of the Pavis Cult (something never suggested in printed sources, including the Black Fang Cult (RQ1, GoG) or the Pavis and Big Rubble packs), then we're prob-=

ably screwing up a lot of games where Black Fang has been empirically proven *not* to be an arm of the Pavis Cult. (Remember, it's one of the three oldest RuneQuest cults. Lots of people will have used it in their games already. And this is a *big change* to its fundamental nature).

So, if it works in your game, go with it. But nothing yet written about Pavis and/or Black Fang has made this association. Which is why it's "unlikely". Of course, the best unholy secret alliances are "unlikely", so I don't see that I'm harming your campaign's development *at all*.

BTW, self-righteous "all scholars bash newbies" types, be aware: I know Danny, who is a published author of damn' fine RuneQuest supplements, a quondam magazine editor, and not, by any stretch of the imagination, a "newbie". Besides, I'm hardly bashing him, now, am I?

::::
Nick
::::