Re: Christians, Supplements

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 08:24:06 -0500

The curse of the International Date Line seems to ensure that my posts on a given topic always arrive one Daily after the similar posts of Peter Metcalfe, making him appear to be a fount of fascinating lore and wisdom, and myself a mere Johnny-come-Lately regurgitating much of the same material. Gods, how I hate him! :-)

___
Luc writes a nifty Pavic Nativity for us. Of course, this is all old hat in Glorantha: the birth of the Red Goddess in a humble back room in Blessed Torang, surrounded by Seven Wise Men (and women), singing animals, and of course Herod-like Carmanian reprisals...

I *must* attend a nativity play soon, steal the script, and write the Lunar Nativity Ritual (inc. staging, costuming, readings and songs). A New Year Resolution, perhaps?

And Rich (a fellow-sufferer from non-automatic line-lengths) also wrote:

> I strongly support this. Having a self contained "culture in
> a box" would make it MUCH easier to start and continue a
> campaign then having to wade through six rule books and a
> couple of magazines to figure out what the cultural weapons
> of Ralios-Orlanthi are.

I couldn't agree more!

Add colourful area maps, "typical" and "local" adventures (as well as the stuff natives could go elsewhere to do, and the reasons foreigners might come to their lands)... like the RQ3 Vikings (or a reissued "Griffin Mountain"), or the Renaissance Cradles supplements, only with knobs on (character generation, cults, unique local magics, timelines, myths, tribes... and, of course, at least one significantly-sized, clearly-marked, lightly-specified "Blank Land" (a clan, a town, a tribe: you name it) in each of the significant cultural/geographical regions, to encourage new and creative GM's.

This could be done for areas smaller than the "Regions" of the "Genertela Book" -- do some good "homeland" places first, then get out there and start adventuring in the exotic foreign lands.

Prax, Pavis and the Cradles Valley are pretty much done to death (with SC, RoC, SotB, SiP, Tales #14-15 and Drastic:Prax); this may make them into ideal "templates" for the first couple of supplements (i.e. work out what *existing* material would go into such a cultural/regional supplement, how much detail should be gone into, what kind of scenario material to include, what the character generation info. required would look like, etc.).

FWIW, back when the RQ4: Adventures in Glorantha proposal was still live, I posted a suggested ToC for a "quick-to-produce" background book which could accompany the new game as a first release; this follows, together with my supporting postings over the next couple of days. Of course, times change, but the basic idea's still sound (I hope).

=46rom here to near the end of this post is reprinted from a now-long-defunct four-year-old RQ4 playtesters' mailing list. The game, the manuscript, the publisher and the authors are now "out of it", but the *material* still exists. Not RQ4:AiG, of course -- that's owned by Avalon Hill and the authors, so we can't touch it. But the stuff I list below is still there, and still essentially "OK" (we all hope!)... after all, it was written or OK'd by Chaosium in the not-too-distant past...