Poll, SC scenario idea, Published Materials Request

From: Lee R. Insley <maelstrom_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:01:47 -0500

>Survey time:
>> Quick poll - how many people read every article in every Digest? Most
>> of them? Some? Do a quick page-down through the ToC and hit "delete"
>> unless they spot something that looks promising?

I tend to skim every message and read what I find interesting. Since I am normally concerned with the DP area, I generally skip anything talking about other areas. Like others, I keep copies of everything, since you never know when it may come in handy.

In the spirit of scenario ideas (and trying to keep the ideas short and sweet): The pike discussions early on generated a theme (or series of ideas) in my mind for adventures in the SC area. Inspired by the templars need for wood for their spears (one of the questions that started the whole chain), what would happend if that supply was cut off?

Perhaps they grow trees locally and the trees come down with some kind of disease. Why is this disease occuring? How can it be cured? How did it start? Maybe a new seed is needed or a new type of tree to counter the new disease is required. Maybe the elves can help?

Perhaps they import the trees, and the nomads (or someone else) are attacking the supply caravans. What is the source of these raids? Why are they occuring? Is there a larger purpose/agenda behind the raids?

Several nights of gaming, mystery, and roleplaying can certainly come out of finding the answers to those questions.

David Dunham:
>I hadn't visited your page (and the annoying ads your ISP forces on us)

Sorry about the ads. That is something new with my ISP (and something that will probably become more common unless you pay through the nose for the provider service).

I support the idea of having published materials by Issaries, Inc. be along the lines of the Sartar Pak, the Prax Pak, the Lunar Pak, etc.. I never liked having to search through multiple books and read several references just to piece together the history/culture of Prax. Having all the info in an organized one-pak form would help tremendously. I would rather the details remain vague (in the spirit of save paper) so that each GM can fill in the pieces for a particular area than find out a new supplement was just released that contradicts the way I had originally viewed things (yeah, I know you can always ignore the new stuff - but I would rather not have to).

Furthermore, when it comes to gods and such, it would be useful if in the Cult of the World section of the write-ups included a short blurb about how each area views the god. It seems that most of the god write-ups are tailored and are specific to one particular area. Maybe something along the lines of ... In Sartar Orlanth is viewed as ... In Ralios Orlanth is viewed as ... In the Lunar Empire Orlanth is viewed as (for those who worship him and those who despise him)... I believe this would help in painting a picture of how each culture perceives a particular god and would help enhance roll playing of the god. Imagine two Orlanthi initiates from different parts of Glorantha having a debate about what it means to be Orlanthi (much like two Christians from two different sects debating what it means to be Christian). It would also, again, keep things in an all-inclusive manner.

P.S.: I also think the best assets are the *What the ... * articles. They are well done and provide an excellent synopsis of an areas POV - what is needed are the other POVs.

My final(?) comments on Nick's flaming. First, thanks for the nomination (and thanks Jane for your support of it - and for your recent advice). Yes, I have survived in typical Orlanthi fashion - cause a raucous, then settle down and make things right.