Re: Digest Contents

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:53:15 -0500

Dave Cake writes:

> Once the digest was the only place most people could usefully
> publish their NPCs, magic items, etc. But now we have TOTRM,
> con books, Drastic, and also innumerable personal web pages,
> many with great stuff on it. The content is definitely out
> there and available, just as it ever was, but it's not all in
> the digest any more.

And this stuff really does grow out of the Daily. A case in point: "Moonbroth Oasis", in Tales #15, grew out of an old Digest posting by Malcolm Serabian (strong on NPCs, military aspects, and physical features), and a more recent one by me (stressing the Lunar religious presence, indigenous Praxian Lunar traditions, etc.). David Hall enjoyed my post, and asked if I could make it into an article for Tales. I wrote to (my quondam bodyguard) Malcolm, asking if I could make use of his previous post in exchange for a richly-deserved co-authorship credit. Then I knocked stuff into shape, added the New Town and some local religious weirdoes, pumped up the history and added more interesting geothermal features (including the Spa), ran it by Malcolm, and presto! a six-page article for Tales.

I wouldn't have bothered incorporating Malcolm's ideas with my own for mere electronic distribution: too much like cut' n'paste authorship, and not enough "new" material to be worth re-posting. But for Tales... hell, I'll jump through hoops to get an article into printed form. That feels *permanent*.

(And, hey, one of these days I'll get round to running the "Moonbroth Murder Mystery" scenarios I've been putting off finishing for way too long).

Bill Thompson wrote:

> Be you Newbie or be you like the old man who sits on mountain
> dispensing wisdom to all, there is always change and growth
> in Glorantha.

Truer words were never spoken. When Glorantha stops changing and growing, she dies. And none of us want that...

::::
Nick
::::

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #304