Re: Non-magical god again

From: Lee R. Insley <maelstrom_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 11:04:04 -0500

michael a pastorello:
>IN my view it would be a god that would want to keep Glorantha alive and
>flourishing without the use of magic at all.

I think I misunderstood your original posting. Originally, I thought you were suggesting that miracles (i.e. spells) were performed by the god himself and not by the individuals involved. I had pictured a god who didn't require the sacrifice of power to gain divine magics, nor one who used spirits to cast spirit magics. I viewed this cult as one which viewed other gods as malevolent and selfish because they require sacrifices (POW) from the individual and are more concerned with themselves than their subjects. I viewed this new god as being perceived as a benevolent god who rewarded his faithful subjects with his divine powers and sacrificed his own power for his subjects. I was intrigued by this concept and how it could fit into Glorantha. I liked the idea that this cult would use a different method of casting spells - relying on the fourth college of magic.

I had envisioned that the miracles would be performed via. prayer (equating prayer to the ceremony and ritual skills) and would come free of charge (i.e. no POW needed - as the necessary power was derived from the god himself or herself). With a successful skill roll, the spell works. Work would need to be done to balance this concept of magic with the others - but I think it is doable. Maybe there is a different ceremony required for each spell. Maybe the length of time spent in the ceremony equates to the power of the spell. For example, say someone wanted to pray to this god to enhance the damage his weapon did (i.e. True Weapon), if he performs a prayer for 1 minute he gets True Weapon 1, two minutes True Weapon 2, 3 minutes 3, 5 minutes 4, etc.. Given time, the potential is there for some rather large magics.

You could certainly use the Roman/Christ parallels in developing this god. Maybe you start by having a prophet in Pavis start speaking of the evil ways of gods and this person starts to attract followers. Nick provided excellent possibilities as well if you are trying to fit it into Glorantha lore. Maybe this person went on a heroquest and learned something new about the universe. You start slowly, introducing this person into the scene (perhaps starting with rumors about a mad man preaching in the streets). This person starts to attract anti-Lunar followers (because the Orlanthi temple is shut down and this person is somehow connected with Orlanth? Because this person provides hope?) as a viable religious outlet.  Eventually, this person is sold out and the Lunars crucify this person. The cult then transforms into what others would perceive as a hero cult, but the true followers would know the difference. The leaders of the *hero cult* start to spread the new ideal starting with underground places of worship (or places in the rubble). They grow and grow, becomming popular with the anti-Lunar groups. When Argrath comes, perhaps some of his followers start to believe in the ideals of this new group. Maybe they help Argrath and become valuable allies thus spreading their cult under a more favorable ruler.

The reality check is, however, that it would take longer than your characters lives to see the real impact of such a *revolution*. At best, they would just be exposed to the group and perhaps plots would develop around this concept.

Just my thoughts,
Lee