Commercial Glorantha

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 15:40:42 -0000

Daniel McCluskey:
> On a more "constructive" note, I would like to see an assortment of
> "Culture Packs" With setting, char generation, myths and scenarios
> specific to the particular culture/region. (...)

I plainly agree with Daniel's suggestions. Notwithstanding, I think that the sensible move to do when Issaries Inc. starts publishing material based on Glorantha is not to focus on RPG related materials but on materials that appeal for a more wider audience (an audience that may even never become a Gloranthan live interactive - meaning RPG or LARP - player).

I think that IInc should concentrate first on producing Gloranthan fiction books (true fiction, not the kind of scholastic treatises KoS-like that have only interest to dye-hards like people that read GD), comics, and computer games.
Why do I think so? ADD was not translated to Portuguese, neither its gamewords, modules and adventures. Yet many people in my country buy ADD based computer games. And some of the Dragonlance fiction was translated to Portuguese. That type of products have a far wider appeal then RPG products that are only interesting to a very small nich of people.

Fiction, comics, and computer games could build financial resources to sustain the development of gaming products and could generate non-gaming consumers to the Packs Daniel (and most of us) want.

What fiction and comics?
- - Argrath's saga

Which computer games?
- - Snake Pipe Hollow (a shout them-up)

Now, that requires a lot of people working simultaneously, some of which might know nothing about G before they were contacted to work on it. IMO IInc's best move would be to produce a kind of *Glorantha Developers Kit*, a CD-Rom with the selection (done most likely by Greg with the help of his core G developers) of the core information on G taken from published (in Chaosium, AH and fanzine publications) products and unpublished materials (2).
This GDK would be given to the people choosed by IInc to develop G material; it would be sold at a discount price to IInc share-howners; and it could be sold to whomever wanted to develop material for G.

(1) Darklands BTW was developed by Steve Perrin, the man that AFAIK created RQ. In fact I always saw this game as a kind of *digital RQ*. It was one of the few computer games I played extensively. (2) The only problem is that at the present rate IInc would be selling GDK 98 by year 2002. Why not, since many highly renowed companies do it?

Best

Sergio