Pikes again (hurrah!)

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 16:34:41 -0500

John Medway joins in late...

> In the Dragon Pass game, the Sun Dome Templars are *from* Dragon
> Pass.

Well, they're *in* Dragon Pass, anyway. "Cults of Prax" says they were recently reintroduced there (since the original SDT was wiped out, along with the rest of the human population, in the Dragonkill War).

What Dragon Pass actually says is, "The Sun Dome Templars were Sun cultists who were granted lands in the Pass by Sartar. They provided mercenaries to both sides in the Hero Wars, though they usually favoured Sartar. Their warriors were of two types: pikemen with 15-20 foot spears, and archers. Their discipline was extraordinary, and they were particularly strong at defensive battle."

"Granted lands by Sartar" -- obviously from subsequent developments, this means "by the kingdom of Sartar" and not "by King Sartar".

Archers as well as pikes -- strangely, given this nod in the text, the Sun Dome Templars *don't* have a missile factor in Dragon Pass.

> With only 16,000 population, according to Sun County, I find it
> hard to believe that the Sun County folks could field 3000 (three
> DP counters) mercenary pikes...

The mercs may include people who aren't part of the usual settled population (as per the Cult of Yelmalio). And *if* the Templars are as shit-hot as their propaganda would have you believe, they *may* be some of those rare units, smaller than regular but no less tough (like the Lunar Imperial Bodyguard regiments, frex).

> As I'd play 'em, the Sun County guys are some yokels who came from
> the DP Sun Dome, and over the intervening years may or may not have
> kept their drill straight.

'zat "over the years between 877 and 1620 ST"? Sounds fair to me. But the "Nomad Gods" Sun Dome Templars are just as good as the ones in "Dragon Pass".

To make this more comprehensive, I'll attempt a loose translation from "Les Dieux Nomades" (why is it my English-language rules have gone walkabout just when I need them most?). French-speakers, be prepared to split your sides...

"The Sun Dome Templars are worshippers of the Sun who received their lands in Prax when Pavis built his city. They are armed with pikes or two-handed spears, and protect themselves with leather armour. Light archers are mainly used in various defensive  positions. Their discipline is extraordinary, and they are particularly skilled at defensive battles. The Templars consider the nomads of the region to be subhuman barbarians, but their leader receives emissaries from the tribes and, depending on the aid they offer him, they may be well repaid. But it's just as likely that the head of the emissary will be stuck atop one of the Templars' pikes, to dissuade other nomads from approaching their lands."

(Actually, I'm sure Stephen will be able to post the original English text, *especially* if I've egregiously cocked this up!)

::::
Nick
::::