elder races

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 11:05:41 +0800

>You can play a troll, and he
>can be a functioning member of society (his, not necessarily yours),
>but an elf or a dwarf that would join your group is pretty much by
>definition warped/damaged/mad by elf/dwarf societal norms.

        Well, a dwarf that would join your group would probably not be an orthodox Mostali, but some form of heretic or apostate. Dwarf Mine Openhandists, Flintnailers from Pavis, or any small group that you make up for your own campaign. Of course, they are 'warped/damaged/mad' according to the xenophobic and totalitarion nature of most Mostali states, but its worth separating the culture from the race - a Flintnail dwarf that joins your party of rubble adventurers is actually pretty cool by his societal norms.

        And elves - remember, a significant minority of elves are 'Rootless' and are expected to join strange cults, associate with strange people, etc. According to their social norms, yes, they are 'damaged', but only minorly. And I have a lingering suspicion that some 'Rootless' elves are perfectly fine, but as they don't WANT to spend their whole lives serving Aldrya, but aren't bad enough to be called 'Renegade', the elves refer to them as 'Rootless' as a polite obfuscation.

        Cheers

                David