Nonhumans?, Nomad Gods, Reasonable use

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 02:23:06 EST

Andrew Joelson
>but an elf or a dwarf that would join your group is pretty much by
>definition warped/damaged/mad by elf/dwarf societal norms. These
>races are descended from the Man Rune (if that's how you want to phrase
>it), and should be able to interact a bit more easily. If I want
bizarre,
>there's plenty of races that _aren't_ linked to the Man Rune, (like
>Dragonewts, frex).

Although it has been said a number of times that elves are descended from the "Man Rune," I have only seen a _single_ reference to dwarfs being so descended. And since it was a Kralorelan source linking ALL INTELLIGENT species as being descended from the "Man Rune" of the Wild Man, I have no trouble ignoring it as irrelevant in this discussion.

Mostali are not, and have never been, descended from the Man Rune.

Nick demonstrates his Read French 50% skill (keeping in mind that 30% is normal for Speak Own Language):
>To make this more comprehensive, I'll attempt a loose translation
>from "Les Dieux Nomades" (why is it my English-language rules have
>gone walkabout just when I need them most?). French-speakers, be
>prepared to split your sides...

<snip>

>(Actually, I'm sure Stephen will be able to post the original
>English text, *especially* if I've egregiously cocked this up!)

No, that seems pretty close, though it always amazes me how 10 words in English, translated into French then back into English, expande to about 25.

Part of the text was taken from the Dragon Pass boardgame, the rest added by me to try and justify why in the hell the Praxian Sun Domers would consent to work for the nomads. Also, to explain the nasty Emissary die roll in Gloranthan terms.

BTW, to clarify my understanding of this discussion, I believe the reference to the population of 16,000 is for the Praxian Sun Dome. Note that the Dragon Pass Sun Dome probably has a higher population -- that is why they can have 3 units, when the Praxian Sun Dome gets only 1 (old) or 2 (new) units. Thus, it is not 3,000 troops plus supporters in Prax, it is no more than 2,000, and likely quite a few less (since I believe the units are less than 1000 men in the case of such elite units).

Thus, if we assume the Dragon Pass Sun Domers have a population of, oh, let's just guess about (damn, thought they'd be in Genertela), well, let's say around 20,000. This is equal to Ethilrist, and _he_ provides 9 units! I think the Sun Dome is fine just as it is.

Steve Rennell
>What is the situation with regards to replicating out of print
>material? (For personal use). If I have to I'll type the most used
>sections in and print copies for my players to flick through instead
>of my decrepid original.

Unlike computer software (thanks to the EMSE (Evil Microsoft Empire)), it is normally considered acceptable to photocopy a book you have bought for personal use only. I certainly think that it is always morally justified, if it is for your own use and to protect your copy from disintigrating.

So don't hurt your fingers, and don't spend $40 buying a second copy of Cults of Terror because your first one fell apart (oh, that was me, not you, sorry :) ).

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com