Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #307

From: Christoph Luehr <christoph_at_tlnet.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 18:13:50 +0000

> As for the greek mention of the 'nomads', I presume you are referring
> to the Orlanthi. To dispel the notion that KoS gwegged all the Orlanthi
> into dark age people, I should note that 'Thanes' and 'feuds' appear
> in Orlanthi society in Cults of Terror (copyright 1981). The cities
> still exist in Sartar (and the greek and roman cities divided their
> citizens along _tribal_ lines) whereas the funny costumes can easily
> be holdovers from the EWF and/or latest fashions from the Holy Country.

I do not think that the Orlanthis are simply dark ages people. I aggreee more with Joerg Baumgartners view that they are a micture of celts and anglo-saxons, which are both cultures who lived before the dark ages. In the dark ages the peoples of Europe were united in deep faith in god. The Orlanthis OTOH believe in a lot of gods, and I hope that no ones tries to think that the cult of Orlanth and his kin has anything to do with christianity. There are a lot of things which are unlike christianity in the Cult of Orlanth. E.g. there is no single leader like the pope and so no one who tells the normal people what is right and what is wrong. And of course no Orlanthi would call a ccrusade against other people.

Christoph Luehr