Dwarves, Acid and Yelornans.

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 12:50:17 +1300 (NZDT)

Sandy Petersen:

> The problem with dwarfs is that most essays on dwarfs have
>emphasized what amounts to the classic Nidan Mountains model.

To some extent, I have been rebelling against this model when it concerns dwarfs in areas _outside_ the influence of the Nidan Decamony such as Diamond Mountain, Slon or the Mari Mountians.

The chief reason for this is that some of the characteristics of the mostali in Elder Secrets _jar_ with what human culture is like in the surrounding region. It should mesh in like the elves and the trolls do.

As an example, the Dwarfs of Diamond Mountains IMO in Teshnos do not see themselves as cogs in the World Machine but rather servitors of the Cosmic Wheel (to fit in with the quasi-indian paradigm). In my recent piece, they are the 'ugly midgets' that tend the prayer wheels in teshnos (and it is rumored that inside Diamond Mountain is one great big ever-turning wheel). They do not look like Nidan Mostali (and are thus unrecognized by outsiders) and this is probably due to the different soil used in their manufacture.

But to minimize the source disruption, I have accepted that they do not use iron nor diamond and blame this on a battle fought long ago (whence their diamond creator and his iron guard perished). They are believed to be isolationists by foreign scholars because the Nidan model Octamonists are isolationist and it is known through dwarf contacts that the Diamond Mountain mostali are also octamonist. Hence this contributes to their 'invisibility'.

But the Diamond Mountain mostali are seen above ground and do interact with the Teshnans. Their major interest is the prayer wheels of the Teshnans which the mostali provide. Through the Teshnan worship of the said prayer wheels, part of the power flows into diamond mountain. The teshnan wheels are tailored to teshnan beliefs (ie five parts) whereas the mostali use wheels of eight parts (each being the usual eight elements). The mostali of Teshnos also provide some wondrous items (like say a Dunish Hunter-seeker) in return for desired materials from the Teshnans. They do not craft iron and shun its touch.

Thus far my knowledge of the Teshnan mostali. I've still waiting for inspiration about how the Slon mostali would be different considering their apparent openhandism and use of ships. The Mari OTOH are vegetarians which is difference enough for my tastes. I imagine that the revolt of Dalamdring from the Conclave of Curustus stems from the desire to maintain their Nidan ways and not the new Slonic ways adopted by the rest of the conclave.

Erik Nolander:

>How do people handle the effects of acid corrosion on armour? Do you use
>the "parry" rules (AP:s are reduced by one each time they receive excess
>damage) or the more nasty "one AP removed for each damage point"-rule? I
>can4t find a clear reference in the (RQ3) rules.

one AP removed for each damage point IMO.

>In the Yelorna write-up in Drastic:Prax, it is stated "Strangely, most
>Yelmalions accept Yelornans..." (p. 48)
>Wouldn't it be more MGF if the Yelmalions (or more correctly, the Sun
>Domers) were _forced_ to accept the Yelornans due to their cult
>restrictions? The way I see it, this opens up some interesting
>roleplaying possibilities. For example, Yelornans and Sun Domers having
>to cooperate against some Mutual Enemy (how original... :-)), with each
>group trying to suppress their dislikes against each other.

I would say that it's a remembrance of the great kindness that the unicorn women showed them during the testing of solitude. Perhaps the supposedly 'nomad' counts were actually prisoners of war of the Unicorn Tribe? In any case, IMO this acceptance only exists between the Praxian Sun Dome Temple and the Yelornans - those unicorn riders who travel to the Dragon Pass Sun Dome Temple would recieve traditional Yelmic snubs IMO.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #309