about the seas

From: Paavo Raappana <raappana_at_walrus.megabaud.fi>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 17:16:04 -0800

I was writing a seabased scenario and an interesting question arose: At the Closing of the seas, no man was able to sail out to open seas, before Dormal the Sailor came with his Open Seas -sorcery spell. Thus came the Opening of the Seas. Am I right?

As far as i know, no other cult teaches "Open Seas" ceremony, but do they anyway? There are Tsankst-worshipping pirates of Vormain and Kogag-worshipping sailor trolls of Jrustela for example. What about mostali-sailors (from Slon) with their ships made of stone. Is Dormal's "Open Seas" the only way to penetrate the Closing, how do the other cults and other-god-than-Dormal-worshipping sailors do it?

I have understood that the Closing was some kind of powerful magic of sorcerers of Brithos Island, and was aimed against the Godlearners. Does the Closing affect the seaborn cultures such as Waertagi too, or was it just to keep the land-dwellers out from the open seas and was the Closing as powerful in Pamaltela and in Eastern Islands (they are pretty far from Brithos) as it was in Genertela?

By sorcery rules, the spell of Closing would have needed about 20 points of Range (10000 km) and 25-26 points of Duration (700 years). I dare not to estimate the Intensity, these Brithos guys have quite a lot of free-INT. :)

Would somebody help me with this question, thank thee in beforehand, either through this digest, or direct to my private e-mail.

Heikki Raappana, Finland raappana_at_walrus.megabaud.fi