Answers to questions

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 17:24:51 -0500 (EST)

Paavo Raappana <raappana_at_walrus.megabaud.fi> writes:

> As far as i know, no other cult teaches "Open Seas" ceremony, but do they
> anyway? There are Tsankst-worshipping pirates of Vormain and
> Kogag-worshipping sailor trolls of Jrustela for example. What about
> mostali-sailors (from Slon) with their ships made of stone.
> Is Dormal's "Open Seas" the only way to penetrate the Closing, how do the
> other cults and other-god-than-Dormal-worshipping sailors do it?

The "Open Seas" spell is the only way to penetrate the Closing. The other cults use Open Seas. Theistic sailors worship Dormal as a god, Malkioni revere Saint Dormal. I've always assumed that the atheistic Brithini simply stole the spell and use it as I would use a satellite positioning system, as a tool.

> I have understood that the Closing was some kind of powerful magic of
> sorcerers of Brithos Island, and was aimed against the Godlearners. Does
> the Closing affect the seaborn cultures such as Waertagi too, or was it
> just to keep the land-dwellers out from the open seas and was the Closing
> as powerful in Pamaltela and in Eastern Islands (they are pretty far from
> Brithos) as it was in Genertela?

It closed the seas, period. I don't believe it affected inland seas (the White Sea) but all of the Homeward Ocean was closed to everyone. It is specifically mentioned that the Waertagi were almost wiped out when their dragonships were swept from most waters.

I'm not an East Isles expert, but my understanding is that they were able to continue to sail because there are so many islands there, they were never out of sight of land. Being out of sight of land was the "trigger" for the Closing magic.
- --
Carl Fink carlf_at_dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>