Diverse replies

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:54:10 -0000

Sandy Petersen:
> Actually, the designers of Darklands, in order, consisted of Arnold
> Hendrick, me, and Doug Kaufman, all of whom had played RQ. I was
> brought onto the project several months after it had begun. My job was
> to make the game more fun, and so most of the quests and adventures
> are mine, with the rest being Doug's. Arnold did the basic game design.

Sorry about the confusion with Steve Perrin. I played Darklands some years

ago, that's why. Actualy your name in the box was the main reason why I
buyed Darklands. I always thought this game should be set in Glorantha in
the first place.

Stephen Martin GDv5#308:
> The ritual formula is that if you ask a question or bring up a subject,
and get no response, you have to ask the question or bring up the
> subject again. If you perform the ritual properly, you WILL get a
> response. Try it.

Thanks for the information.

Stephen Martin GDv5#309:
> I understand your desire to make non-humans more playable, but what is
> the point if they are not alien from humans? If you want a person to be
> able to play an elf or dwarf or troll, and yet want them to be basically
> humans in a funny costume, you might as well play DnD, IMO. I much
> prefer the aliens of Glorantha to just a bunch of humans who happen to
> look different.

You are very binary: either a human or a complete alien. There can be degrees here. After all, what is an human being? An european-like white man? Are all the other human cultures only funny looking people in funny costumes?

IMO you're approaching the question of giving substance to non-human races the wrong way. It's not only the question of how they look. You must think on how they reproduce. What they eat. Do they have families? How are they? Do they need to dress? What about their personallity? If you start by developing those elements (the list is not exaustive) and next think about how the answers will impact the way they are you can end with a very different creature from man. BUT they still can share the same environment and be able to interact effectively in a constructive way. Next, its up to the GM and players to know if they can play the creature. You do find examples of that approach to creatures development in G: trolls and dragonewts. IMO you can play trolls without ending with a bunch of *humans in a funny costume*, but you can't play dragonwets.

Let me give you an example: I don't like the Nidan mountains dwarfs, not because they are to alien, but because they are to human! They are an artificial and anedotic reproduction of some RW *dark utopies* about where technocracy can lead the human kind...

Nick Brooke:
> But maybe Portuguese history doesn't have many Celts in it: I
> wouldn't know.

Actualy no. Iberian Celts concentrated in central and eastern parts of the Peninsula.
Most of what is central Portugal today (all the region between south of the Douro river and the Tajo river, and the Salamancan part of Spain) whas occupied before the Roman invasions by the Lusitans. Other peoples lived in the north and south parts of my country. All those peoples had strong (stronger in the south) economic and cultural relations with Mediterranean cultures: greeks, fenicians, etc.

Pre-roman peoples living in the west and south of the Iberian Peninsular are more connected with north-african and south-european peoples then with central and north-europeans.

> is there really no room for Vercingetorix, Boudicca, Asterix the
> Gaul and Cuchulain of Muirthemne (or their multifarious ilk) in
> your Glorantha, Sergio?

The Lusitans fought the Romans very successfuly. Their leader was called Viriato. He was never defeated in battle. To finish Lusitan resistance the Romans used their optional tactic: treason. Viriato was killed by some of his own tribesmen.

Later, Lusitans would rebel again against the romans but interestingly their leader was a himself roman called Sertorius. Something like a roman that *whent barbarian*. Of course, by that time Lusitans were already heavily romanised. (Something like Sor-Eel rebeling against the LE and leading the Orlanthi and Praxian for independence...)

Best,

Sergio