More closing

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 20:54:26 +1300 (NZDT)

Nick Brooke:

>The Closing certainly seems to have affected the Waertagi --
>although the date given for their final sinking of Jrustela in
>the "Glorantha Book" is after the inception of the Closing, it
>is IMO more likely that this represents a suicidal, superhuman
>effort rather than a natural immunity.

If you look closely at the timeline, there are two sinkings of Jrustela, one circa 940 ST and one in 1050 ST. Rather than think the editor suffered brainstem failure in noticing a doublet, IMO these are two separate events. The Waertagi IMO were involved in the earlier 'sinking' which would be contemporary with their sacking of the Umathelan Universities in 954 ST. The Jrustela boxed text in Elder Secrets appears to confirm this by saying that 'Old enemies came in a mighty fleet which sank most of the island, after which the closing descended'.

The later sinking IMO was caused by the Luatha who sank Seshnela in 1049 ST. In the next year both Slontos and Jrustela are reported sunk. The year after that, Kralorela suffers the Dragon's awakening shudder. The association of all these lands with the God Learners is well known. So I think that a titanic slow-moving sesmic wave radiated out from Seshnela to sink the lands of the extant god learners (although I know the FDR are really ex-god learners). Umathela appears to have escaped owing to its purge in 1020 ST.

>The Waertagi on the Edrenlin Isles (in the far south-east
>ocean) were landlocked throughout the Closing.

The islands in the Togaro Ocean are the Daria Istos Islands. The Edrenlin Isles are off the coast of Elamle (as noted in ToTRM#11).

To digress at a tangent here, the Edrenlin Waertagi would have had an interesting relationship with the Maslo seamen during the closing. This is because according to the Genertela Book 1 (p26), 'a fleet of refugees had to choose between pushing further eastward, past the known lands of the Sofali, or settling in the Maslo's coasts. Most chose the later'. So a fleet of God-Learner refugees settled right next to a population of Waertagi?

To expand, conflicts would have been pretty muted for the first twenty years as the human refugees would have been subjects of the Elf Empire. When the Empire disintegrated in 975 ST, the refugees would have been free to flex their muscles and attempt to war with the Waertagi as well as colonize Onlaks.

>From what I recall of the Pamaltela book, the population of Elamle
have a four tiered caste system in which the children of one caste will enter the next higher caste (the kids of the nobles become farmers). A Malkioni origin for the castes seems probable IMO although the culture of the Elf Coasts is mostly pamaltelean.