Oasis people, sky colour, open seas

From: Jean.DURUPT_at_st.com
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 97 18:09:26 +0100

Hi all

+Oasis people

Sergios asked about the Oasis people from Prax. Like the other Praxian they are remnants of the Golden Age. They did not want (or could not) take their chance in the Survival Covenant. They tied their survival to the Oasis godess (sister of Zola Fel) and to a number of plant goddess.
Two Oasis are described in Tales#15 (Moonbroth and Cam's well).

IMG they herd small beasts for their meat and leather. Cam's well inhabitants raise Ui (guinea pigs). I think that in Horn gate, they raise rabbits, and in Pairing stone rock lizards. Larger beasts tend to be taken by the nomads. It means that the Oasis people don't use plows since they don't have draft animals (or maybe the men pull the plow).

The nomads do not enslave them (ie make them follow their herds) because they tend their oasis. They prevent sand from filling the wells, they tend to the skullbush (and other useful plants) and ensure a good harvest. If they have fields, once the grain is harvested, the nomad beasts have an excellent grazing ground (and the nomads get most of the harvest).

+map of tales#14

I suppose that the Vast teeth are the Shan Shan mountains, but where is Graydust ?

+sky colour in Glorantha

On a clear day, the sky is blue and a shining orb travels through the sky.
At sunset and at dawn, the sky is red, even pink as pointed Peter Metcalfe.
Sometimes, the sky even takes a golden colour.

In winter, the sky is often grey (even white) and no shining orb is visible. A clear (blue) sky during the winter season means a very cold day.

Whatever its colour, the sky gives light.

Since the Red Moon gives a crimson light, the night sky is violet or indigo rather than black during the full moon days (it has always this colour inside the glowline).

+open seas

I agree with Nick Brooke.
Some Waertagi went down Magasta pool and sailed the Ocean of Eternal Return.

Since a fireberg takes a century or so to do the trip, we can suppose they took the same time to sail on Hell's oceans. By doing this trip, they proved that the dragonships were sea creatures and thus immune to the curse. The interesting question is wether they can come within sight of the land and be still counted as a sea creature. Before the Waertagi managed to learn the open sea ritual, IMG they remained cautious (and safely out of sight of the land).

Besides revenge on the Brithini, the Waertagi seek the shipyards that were on Brithos. It has been centuries since the last time the dragonships have been repaired.

+scenarios

I like the scenario written by Jeff Richards and the ford described by David Dunham

Peace

        Jean