Back Issues of Tales/Non-humans/Game hunting

From: Nikk Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 21:37:38 +0000

Firstly, I have located the first three issues of Tales of the Reaching Moon in my local store, at the ridiculous price of forty pounds for the first issue, thirty for the second and twenty for the third. So, if anyone's intrested then e-mail me and I'll hand out the address (I'd offer to buy them for people, but I'm more than a little careful dealing with such large sums of money).

Sandy:

>Now, I don't insist that non-humans be PCs in everyone's campaign, but I
>do believe that campaigns lacking _any_ nonhumans (even as NPCs) are
>missing a good deal of Glorantha. Personally, I think they make fine
>NPCs. On the other hand, I wouldn't run a non-human-only campaign.

My campaign is not only human only, but Otkorioni Orlanthi only! I suppose that I might be tempted to allow more variation in my game at a later date, but working with these limitations my players have managed to create _very_ MGF characters. We have/had an Illuminated Vivamort/Orlanth worshippers seeking to bring down the evil slayers of his family from within, an Eurmali, a Woods Mage accompanied by a collection of dominated woodland creatures, a bard sycophant and more run-of-the-mill characters but with that extra bit of flair. I would probably allow in additional types of characters (and have done, we did have a Brithini Zzaburi and a Duck sorceror, one was more a mistake than the other....) but it would make my game more difficult. I don't think all games should allow in multiple race PC's. Mind you, I play in a campaign open to any and all, having two poisonthorn elves, a Teshnan aldryami shaman, a silver dwarf sorceror, a fanatical Brass Dwarf Individualist on a crusade from Dwarf Mine to find the keys to Mostal's Cloest, an Orc Humakti (!), a Centaur Sword, an ogre (in fact, a fair few, we did play in Dorastor :), even a Baboon from Prax (one of my more intriguing examples of charatcer advancement)! With some games it works, some games it doesn't.

>I think you're missing out by not including dwarfs, BTW. A dwarf was the
>very most fun non-human PC I've ever had in my campaign. He was played
>as a broken dwarf, recently kicked out onto the surface world -- his
>ignorance of surface mores & morals is what made him so fun to play
>with. He kept struggling to learn how to adapt to his new environment,
>but it never quite "took".

I tihnk that with the exclusion of some Mostali in Bad Deal and the members of Dwarf Mine, most of my Mostali will be quite, quite alien in nature. Ask them a question they don't understand, and they'll blink and call for the Foreman. Not to say they don't _seem_ to be normal people, with mannerisms and habits, and hobbies. It's when you get to know them and realize that they are little more than single minded workers that the true difference between Mostali and humans occur. At first glance, Mostali are just "little people with beards". IMG anyhow.

____________________________-

Craig Shackleton:

> I moved to Dannevirke New Zealand at the beginning of October, and have
>not found an rpg of any kind going on. Is there anyone nearby who is gaming
>or looking to play? please e-mail me.
> I apologize if this is an inappropriate place for this type of post. If
>someone could tell me where to look/ post on the web, I would appreciate
>that too.

I hope not! In fact, I was wondering if anyone played a campaign in or around Leeds???? If so, please mail me as I worry about the local gaming club... I'm willing to play or GM, and I'm not limited to RuneQuest!

Nikk E.

Nikk Effingham
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/7556/

    "If absolute power corrupts absolutely,