Lunar madness

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 17:11:16 +1300 (NZDT)

Jeff Richard:

If London is Glamour then is Slough Burntwall?

Kevin Rose:

>Anyone ever decide how Lunar names are structured, particularly for the
>major clans of the Empire. Do all the Ell-Arish have the same name
>structure, or is this just an artifact? How about the Molari-sor clan?
>Any ideas or should I just make it up?

I think the clan name is bipartate with the first name representing the clan ancestor (or founder) and the other representing the place from whence he came. When naming individuals informally, use their given name and the ancestor's name.

This is not a ironcast rule as many exceptions do occur. A Makkrit-Oor of the Wylua-Oor clan is known in the 'Life of Moonson' freeform. Hence I think that some clans use either their ancestral placename to distinguish themselves from other clans who have a different ancestor of the same name (ie there is a clan known as the Wylua-Foobar) or use their personal name and their full clan name.