Pelorian Naming Customs

From: Andrew Behan <ajbehan_at_maedhbh.maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 18:09:44 +0000 (GMT)

I agree completely with Peter Metcalfe's suggestion that Pelorian clan names are bipartate. Personally, I had come to the conclusion, lifiting the idea from EPT, that the first part was the clan name and that the second part was the lineage name within the clan.

(A clan claims to have a common ancestor, whereas a lineage can trace their ancestory back to a real common ancestor ...or something similar AFAIK.) - - I think the Roman naming system was based on something similar, i.e. Gaius Julius Caesar.

Distinguished clans have more and less distinguished lineages. Yanariao Belim-ilart was the last ruler of Doblian, whereas Yanariao Arslan-arp is doing latrine duty at the Yara Aranis barracks in Xarkarsh Overground...

IMO the personal name goes in the middle, after all your clan is more important than you are as an individual. I posted a nice little theory about how Pelorians pass on names within lineages.

The idea was that when someone in the lineage died the "personality" part of their soul (Vrimak? I can't remeber) was passed onto the next baby born into the lineage. The new-born was automatically typed on the basis of their nominal forebearers actions, inherited their foci, was expected to be friends with the same people and join the same cult etc.

In the spirit of "more scenario hooks" the MGF aspects of this were:

(i) What happens if a baby is born and nobody has died recently? Does granny get the chop? What do the local wet-liberal Lunar authorities make of it?

(ii) What happens if the person isn't really dead? Nomisma is very worried because little Tzelephoros doesn't want to eat, he never cries or nothing just stares blankly at the ground. The clan elders send the PCs of to find out what happened to Uncle Tzelephoros after he "disappeared". Turns out he's a Vivamort RuneLord and isn't interested in his family ties ...who said Cremate Dead was a crap spell.

> This is not a ironcast rule as many exceptions do occur.

BTW naming customs weren't homogenized, for peasants at any rate, in England until after the Black Death so I'm sure that the same is true in Peloria.
- -------
Andrew

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #315