RQ3 Flintnail

From: peter metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:31:04 +1300 (NZDT)

Erik Nolander

>Has anyone tried converting the RQ2 Flintnail cult to RQ3?

>Could the cult structure be kept as it is, do you think? Also, would all
>spells have to be converted to sorcery spells? Maybe, since it seems to
>be rather an Openhandism sort of cult, it could be treated as more of a
>"regular" cult than a sorcery "school". What do you think?

I would alter the cult structure slightly so that it resembles the traditional guild for humans. Lay members are apprentices and journeymen, intitiates are masters and the 'rune level' is really the guild leadership. The mostali openhandists really dominate the cult by insisting on meritocratic leadership - those who can sculpt the best should be the leaders.

If the mostali use spirit magic then they are apostate. However since Flintnail was a rock mostali (and true mostali cannot by definition be apostate IMO), then the cult must be sorcery-using. Thus I would convert all the rune magic spells to sorcery equivalents (mould rock becomes form/set rock, warrior of stone becomes animate stone etc). A human cultist would only get tuition in the more complex sorcery skills when he becomes an initiate.

I don't think Flintnail would give Divine Intervention. IMO the cult is devoid of any spiritual element and most human cultists look to Orlanth and Ernalda for afterlife etc.