Re: Flintnail

From: Erik Nolander <eriknolander_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:40:38 PST

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies to my Flintnail questions. I like the idea of the cult having a guild structure, it makes a lot of sense. Some comments, though:

Stephen Martin writes:
>Actually, all indications have Flintnail being the same as Isidilian
the
>Wise, the famous Dwarf of Dwarf Run, who is a Quicksilver Mostali

And I thought it was only a rumour. Well, why not?

>The very
>closely-connected Pavis cult does not use sorcery, and I would think
that
>if the Flintnail cultists did, the Pavis cultists would as well, since
>Pavis was a sorcery-using EWFer, by all accounts.

This might only be a rules convention, seeing as sorcery as such did not exist in RQ2. However, I agree that it would be more fun to keep the spells divine.

> But the cult must have some sense of an afterlife, since by
>definition all dwarfs who enter it know _beyond a doubt_ that they are
>going to die someday.

In the write-up, it is stated that "Flintnail cultists believe their spirits enter the project on which they are working at the time of death /.../...and is eventually returned into the body of another descendant of Flintnail..." (Pavis Common Knowledge Book, p. 26). This sounds as an, admittedly bleak, afterlife to me.

 I am thinking of making the Rubble Trackers into a sub-cult, and giving its cultists the abilities of the Rune Lord level. Any comments?

Cheers,
Erik Nolander