Some East Isles cultural stuff

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 23:35:54 +0100

Since there has been complaints about the scholarly nature of the Digest, and the lack of gaming related posts I dug out this from my East Isles notes. It's the old "what my father told me" for a young man or woman from Luvata, one of the islands in the Korolan Islands, an archipelago in the southern East Isles.

In due time this will go up on my web site as well.

What the old fisherman told you

- -------------------------------

Who are you?

Arennan the sailor, of the Arinta clan.

Who are we?

We are the Luvatans, in the other islands live the Tamorans, the Serenetans and the Mingaians. Together we are the Korolans because our islands form the Korolan Isles.

What makes us great?

Our sailors are the most skilled, our young the most beautiful. Through the Dream of Unity our four islands are united against our enemies. Last but most important we are bound to Thella's net and are faithful subjects of the Golden Emperor of Vithela.

Where do we live?

We live in the Korolan Isles: Luvata, Tamoro, Sereneto and Mingai. Around us are the other Ten Thousand Islands of Dawn.

How do we live?

We Luvatans are fishermen and sailors. On Tamoro they grow fruits and till the earth. The Mingaians have herds of goat and sheep and the Serenetans do all these things to live.

What is important in my life?

It is important to live well, take care of your family and expand your soul. Always guard your virtue and your dreams will keep pure. We of the Arinta clan are the keepers of the secrets of the passage through the coral reef around the lagoon. You must never tell those secrets to an outsider, but you should use your knowledge to help others.

Who rules us?

Queen Tamerana rules Luvata, but the Senate on Sitoro has the final say in all matters that are of importance to all four islands. In your daily doings you must heed your clan chief Itos Arinta Keen Eye.

What makes a man or woman great?

A man should be loyal, courageous and skilled in his profession. The same goes for women. To be truly great, you have to wise and spiritually pure.

What is evil?

Those who spread the bad dreams are evil: the Black Moon with her goblin minions and the Dreamwraiths who prey on the sleep of the innocent. The Waking Magicians who poisoned the dreams of our ancestors.

What is my lot in life?

Since you were born in the Arinta clan you will be a sailor and navigator if you wish. But if your dreams turn you to other deeds, you must follow them.

What is the difference between men and women?

Men kindle the spark of life, but women bear the child until birth. Men build boats, and fish from them. Women build houses and gather the fruit. Otherwise men and women can do all things equally well. A true man knows the skills of women too, and a true woman knows the skill of men.

How do we deal with others?

Everyone who is not an agent of nightmares should be treated well. We offer them food and drink and shelter. But the secrets of your clan must never be known to a stranger.

Who are our enemies?

The goblins and the dreamwraith are our eternal enemies.  The evil forest people who try to spread their snake-infested jungle to our islands are never to be trusted.

Who are my gods?

Irvata of the Sweet Water is the goddess of our island. The Tamoroans worship their mountain Tamorongo. On Sereneto they worship the whirlwind
Aoea. The Mingaians worship Mingemelor the volcano. We all worship the great Thella, of course, and we pray that the White Moon will protect our dreams.

What is there to do around here?

When the work of the day is done we exercise our athletic skills so we remain the greatest athletes in the world. Those who feel the urge to travel can sail out to explore the rest of the wondrous islands.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689