Inheritance

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:35:49 -0500 (EST)

Peter Metcalfe:

> This is a tad misleading IMO. If we talk about DNA and all that,
> then we have no evidence to suggest their existance in Glorantha
> nor would I go around proclaiming their existance. But I do feel
> that Mendel's experiments would work in glorantha and that people
> can inherit characteristics from their parents.

I dislike this. IMG, inheritance does NOT follow Mendel's principles. It's more like the old "corpuscular" (real name forgotten) principles, including "Lamarckian" inheritance (inheritance of acquired characteristics) and influence from former sex partners. For instance, Darwin believed that if a zebra and a mare copulated, the mare's offspring EVEN YEARS LATER would be striped because of the influence of the zebra.

I also think that the real-world old wive's tale of "event" inheritance would work in Glorantha. For instance, if a pregnant woman is scared by a rat, her child might look vaguely rat-like. - --
Carl Fink carlf_at_dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>