Rigid vs mercurial mostali

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:33:45 -0800 (PST)

> Stephen Martin
>
> These spells (Shape Metal, Mold Rock, Animate Warrior of "Stone") do not
> seem, to me, to be Rock Mostali secrets -- they seem to be generic
> dwarf-type spells. After all, I think that any well-taught dwarf would be
> able to deal with _basic_ aspects of the other castes -- to be a proper
> alchemist, you have to have a working knowledge of minerals, be able to
> cut gems to the right shape, etc.

Im not at all sure I agree with this - given the extremely rigid nature of the mostali and their castes I don't think that they do have much of any other skills outside their caste. They are all part of the world machine. Does a piston need to know how to act as a cog or gear? I view the dwarves as being the very opposite of generalists.

> In addition, as an Ancient Mostali, I find it entirely possible that
> Isidilian the Quicksilver Mostali had some rock dwarfs, gold dwarfs, etc
> with him, to help carve up the statue.

This is far more plausible - but does away for any need for Isilidian to be any form of generalist.

> So, even discounting the fact that Isidilian is firmly in print as a
> Quicksilver Mostali, and that the evidence for him being Flintnail is
> quite strong,

Well, if you could present some of that evidence then maybe we could come to agree with you...

Cheers,
Yak
- --
Dave Pearton
pearton_at_u.washington.edu

Down he sank in a chair-ran his hands through his hair-	+
     And chanted in mimsiest tones			+
Words whose utter inanity proved his insanity,		+
     While he rattled a couple of bones.		+
							+
"The Hunting of the Snark" Lewis Carroll		+

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #322