Arir and Bears

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 00:30:00 +1300 (NZDT)

Andrew Behan:

>Just wondering if anyone knew anything about the ErEsori, depicted on the
>C11th ST map in FS as being in Arir?

Nothing is known. The 1057 legend may refer to a momentous event in Arir (Kadash the False became Shah in that year).

>Arira: Arira (Gods Wall II-2, and I don't have IP so if I'm wrong I
>can't help it) has plaits, which are remarkably similar to those of
>the perhaps, bear connected, Iberian Dama of Elche which I saw in Carlo
>Ginzburg's "Ecstacies".

Arira is a girls goddess for Dara Happa and the Oronin Valley and has no ursine connections. Despite Orogeria's extensive connections with Arir, the placename appears to have been applied by outsiders*. According to a footnote in the Ivory Pages, the name Arir appears to have been attached to the place _after_ the invasion of the Ram People. Furthermore the Oslir river valley in Sylila is known as Terarir yet there are no bear people there.

>I am certain that Arira played the virgins role in luring a mighty bear,
>like a unicorn, to the hunters and regretted this violently afterwards.
>Anadiki and Ariran girls are called bears, whereas Oria put bears inside men.

I would say that this role would be taken by the cult of ErtelEnari rather than Arira.