Re: Cataphracts

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 07:22:05 -0500

Loren asked me off-line what a Cataphract was, and I did some digging. In case it's useful to anyone else, here's my posts to him. For those wondering what this is all about, we're using ancient middle-eastern cataphracts rather than mediaeval knights as our model for Carmanian heavy cavalry, to keep the "Bronze Age" feel of Glorantha (and, more particularly, my own "Persian Empire" flavour for Carmania), and to avoid having *yet another* cod-mediaeval, knights-in-shining-armour, kings-with-spiky-crowns, wizards-in-pointy-hats country impinging on our collective gaming fun and frolics. (Want kings, dukes and barons, knights, wizards and priests? There's other places you can find 'em. Here, we've got Shahs, Satraps and Sirdars, Hazars, Viziers and Magi. And you can game "in translation", if you don't like local colour...).