cataphracts sex life

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 18:59:03 +0100

Cataphracts

I mentioned them in one of my ignored Gloranthan warfare posts.

The classic cataphracts came when Alexander's successors found how rich were their countries and began up-armouring their companions. They were soon the rage among anyone rich enough to afford all that metal.

That happened also among the Carmanians, once they controlled the Brass Mountains, and evolved from the mad charge of the westerners to a bunch of oligarchs more interested in surviving battles with the best armour they can buy, while charging at the trot with buddies all around.

And Loren, secondary means the weapon you use when you drop your lance, not something you carry in the left hand while you charge. This fellows used both hands to hold the lance, as crashing against people when you lack stirrups is a bit unbalancing.

The most famous cataphracts are the byzantine Kataphraktoi, who evolved from these antecedents, but carried bow, shield, and sometimes even darts. And fortunately for them, stirrups.

I suppose the "old style cataphracts" remain as feudal militia in Carmania, and represent the Hazars not constantly involved in warfare. The professional regiments and military units will be closer to the byzantine evolution, with a great variety of secondary weapons.

The biggest difference in military effect between cataphracts and knights is that cataphracts charged as a body, trotting, while knights charged as an uncontrolled galloping mass. Cataphracts were less vulnerable to projectiles, disorganization and surprises, while the knights struck harder.

The byzantines charged more slowly than knights because they shot while they charged. Many times it would be just a feint.

Nice spell, however. How many first rankers will get to reuse it?

And now for the sex content,

Passu said

> Zorak Zoran's sex life would be quite normal,
> I believe. Uz do revere females...

Who said there were females in ZZs sex life? At least living, uz ones. [rest of transmission censored]