elder races

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:16:12 +0800

Pasu asked
> Why there are no Elder Races that compete with humans of 'lebensraum'
> directly and in same environment, I wonder.

        The Aldryami do compete directly with humans, its just they do it by changing the environment to suit them. They expand the forests, rather than expanding beyond the forests. The have deliberately engineered large expansions into human territory at several times in the past, and the humans have likewise expanded in their territory several times. Most of the (considerable) tension between the races is due such incidents (the Skyburn and the Moonburn being the most obvious and extreme examples, but there are dozens of others).

        And the troll also actually compete with humans for territory - its just that in general, since the curse of kin at least, they do it unsuccessfully. Scary as trolls are, humans outbreed them and are more flexible.

        Cheers

                David