Battlefield magic

From: Jean.DURUPT_at_st.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 18:42:56 +0100

Hi all

+charge of the cataphract

After reading Peter's post on this subject, I'll adopt the spell as it is described.
As I see it, cavalry under this spell charge in 3 steps: - -they advance at a trot until around 50m of the infantry - -they slow in order to check if they have a chance to break the line without dying (ie the dead will lead the charge) - -they crash into the line just after the dead have disordered it.

+regimental spirits

Pole Star is a god of generals because he is the lord general of the sky armies. Besides he gives useful magic for a general, as seen in Tarsh Wars. His other magics help to coordinate the troops as he coordinate the movements of the stars around him.
I think that it is Arraz, king of the luxites, who lends regimental spirits to solar regiments.
Since not all of the units have such a spirit, I think it is difficult to gain one. The emperor of Dara Happa could award one to a regiment as a prize for having shown valour beyond the call of duty.

The Red Emperor being an avatar of both Antirius and Rufelza can grant such a spirit to a lunar regiment.

Argrath made pacts with friendly spirits.

+magician regiment

The number of magician a country can afford to lose in battle depends on the total number of magicians available. Dara Happa with a huge population and a great wealth can afford to maintain hundreds of priests in the army.

I agree with Robert McArthur that around 100 priests per regiment seems a better number than 500, I'll have to scale the effects with the new number.

The ritual to link the magicians is indeed "imperial" in Kralorela,as the dragon emperor is the soul of the nation. For the Teshnans, since they worship Zitro Argon/Dayzatar, I think that a stellar way of doing thing is possible.

+Yara Aranis avilry

After thinking about it, I propose that the cult of Yara Aranis maintain the third Daughter's lancer regiment.
They ride augners (Rufelza brought back the birds). It allows the troopers to be both horse haters and horse eaters. Besides the horse magic of the Pentans is ineffective against them.

Peace

        Jean