RE: closedhandists and reproduction

From: Maria or Michael <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:51:48 +0100

Hi all -

This morning i stumbled upon a fascinating paragraph from the review of the book "Old and Rare Books on Materia Medica in the Library of the Swedish Pharmaceutical Society; an illustrated and annotated catalogue" in the newspaper (Dagens Nyheter, sB2, 980116). This excerpt has immediate consequences for how the Closedhandist, Sorcery-using Pavis Dwarfs reproduce:

"Let a man's semen ferment for 40 days, or until it starts to live, move and quicken, which is easily perceived. Thereupon it will take the form of a human creature, although transparent and without body. If it is now nurtured carefully each day and given arcanum (1) of human blood and kept for 40 weeks at an even temperature, it will gradually become a real and living child, with all the limbs of a child born of a woman, only much smaller. This we call a homonculus."(2)

Standard dwarfs (SIZ 7) are almost half the size of standard humans (13). Intriguing, isn't it?

(1) I have no idea what this is or might be.
(2) The recipe is stated to be Renaissance-era, but no source is referred to.

Michael Raaterova

<.sig omitted on legal advice>