Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #333

From: Pasanen Panu <passo_at_students.cc.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:07:57 +0200 (EET)

 I woul to argue to Loren's claim that Carmanian peasants are the  most opressed. Kingdom of War takes gold, Ramalia gets silver.  Carmania maybe shares bronze with oasis folk (they are kinda peasants.)

 I also don't like the idea of 'faceless monster', that lurks out  there doing evil deeds just to be killed by a hero or another.  That's partly why uz, aldryami and mostali are so cool. You don't  get praises for killing 'em (well you could), but you get an _angry_  mob of avengers to your tail.

 Jean wrote about magic & Sheng Seleris, way to go! I have some  doubts on the guardian spirit as presented: the magical colleges  seem to be rather close to the real battle in most battles, so  maybe the spirit (master magian, high priest, whatever) is a focus,  but does not actually improve the range etc. Besides, putting all  magics through a single person makes him very, very tempting  target for a moonmeteorrain or something equally lethal. Being  a bodyguard to a focus ain't no task for the weak-nerved!

 David Cake replied that aldryami do compete of living space with  humans by converting plains to forests and uz do compete too,  quite unsuccesfully.

 I knew, that's why I used the wording 'directly and in same  environment'. Certain kind of alienation from the elder races  is the norm... but makes the Kitori and mostali slave humans  more interesting.

 Panu Pasanen.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #336